Phones forum

General discussion

smart phone with Verizon CDMA and any carrier's GSM service?

by mbkent / January 30, 2007 9:16 AM PST

Is there a phone out there (or in development) that combines both CDMA (for US use) and GSM (for overseas use)? I don't care about ring tones, music, video, cameras, etc. I simply want one good quality phone which I can use for both calls and e-mail nationally and internationally. I find Verizon CDMA the best (by far) service throughout the US, but cannot use my phone abroad. I realize that I would have to contract with 2 carriers (or they would need to joint venture something) - but is it a possibility???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: smart phone with Verizon CDMA and any carrier's GSM service?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: smart phone with Verizon CDMA and any carrier's GSM service?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
GSM/CDMA
by birdmantd Forum moderator / January 30, 2007 7:23 PM PST

Yes, Verizon does sell a handset that does use GSM networks overseas only (not in the US). Don't know the exact model # though.

Collapse -
CDMA/GSM phone
by mbkent / January 30, 2007 9:47 PM PST
In reply to: GSM/CDMA

thanks - they have one which does both for phone, not for data

Collapse -
GSM Is A Better Standard
by nycplayboy78 / February 1, 2007 8:42 PM PST
In reply to: CDMA/GSM phone

Hello and I would like to chime in on this question. Why would you want a phone that is both CDMA and GSM compliant? I am bias towards GSM because it is used 95% of time across the world. The other 5% is CDMA here in the US. I have lived overseas and worked overseas for years (Military Vet and now US Foreign Service Officer). I would simply just go with either T-Mobile USA or Cingular/AT&T because with them you can truly go anywhere in the world and use your mobile device. Now if you are talking about data rate exchange that is where it gets tricky. T-Mobile is HSD (2100MHz) whereas Cingular/AT&T is EDGE (1700MHz). You can get a phone that is quad-band GSM and 3G compliant then you will have no problem. For guidance please check out www.expansys.com they have the best phones in the world and they have a site here in the US. I hope this helps you out.

Dana

Happy

Collapse -
CDMA & GSM
by mbkent / February 1, 2007 8:54 PM PST

hi - I do want both phone and data, and I travel extensively, both overseas (GSM) and thoughout the US - where CDMA is still infinitely preferable. GSM just doesn't have wide enough coverage in the US to be consistently reliable. I have discovered a Samsung phone from Verizon the they don't publicize that does have both. It is an awkward, bulky instrument, but it does have the necessary technology.

thanks!

Collapse -
Samsung SCH-a790
by nycplayboy78 / February 1, 2007 9:18 PM PST
In reply to: CDMA & GSM
Collapse -
cdma & gsm
by mbkent / February 1, 2007 9:24 PM PST
In reply to: Samsung SCH-a790

actually there is an updated version - the 830

thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?