not detected at all. I've shutdown and restarted my pc twice and the same
with the smart phoen. I've uninstalled Activesync (v4.5) and reinstalled it
but its still not detected - all the settings are the same as they were
yesterday - the cable seems ok as the phone is charging when connected to my
pc (Win XP Pro SP2)

Any thoughts

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Smart phone not recognised by activesync
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Smart phone not recognised by activesync
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The clue to me is "XP Pro..."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2007 8:35 AM PDT

That's usually on a home built machine so tell us if you tried installing the motherboard driver package.

Bob

Collapse -
Don't understand
by adamsjason / October 17, 2007 5:42 PM PDT

Bob,

Sorry I don't understand your reply?

Tom

Collapse -
That's another good clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2007 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't understand

Talk to the person that installed XP Pro and ask them to check their work in regards to the driver I noted.

Bob

Collapse -
Driver name
by adamsjason / October 18, 2007 4:47 AM PDT

If the driver wasn't bundled with activesync 4.5 probably not - do you happen to know the driver's name please?

Collapse -
It's called...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2007 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Driver name

The motherboard driver package.

This is specific to each PC motherboard so until you share make, model, etc I can only supply the name of it.

Bob

Collapse -
HP Pavilion a1029.uk Desktop PC
by adamsjason / October 18, 2007 6:53 AM PDT
In reply to: It's called...

That's what it called

Collapse -
Link about that model and the driver I'd try.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2007 8:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
No change
by adamsjason / October 19, 2007 2:50 AM PDT

Installed the file - still not detected.

Collapse -
Tell me exactly how you installed it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2007 3:05 AM PDT
In reply to: No change

If you didn't know of the motherboard drivers it's likely you could have not installed it. Also you need to check that the BIOS has all the USB ports enabled and finally use the USB port on the rear of the machine...

Reinstall ActiveSync after the USB because... ActiveSync may not be configured to use USB. I haven't read in your posts you checked it's settings.

Bob

Collapse -
OK
by adamsjason / October 19, 2007 3:51 AM PDT

Followed the link, read the instructions downloaded the exe file. Ran the exe file and followd the instructions, after reboot tried the phone still the same.
To the same usb port i then attached my pda sync cable and synched 1st time with activesync.

I went into bios and usb's are enabled, The usb port i usually use is at the front of the machine but as you suggested i tried a port at the rear.
No difference.

So unless i've missed something it points as the phone has a problem?

Collapse -
Something I need you to expand on...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2007 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: OK

"To the same usb port i then attached my pda sync cable and synched 1st time with activesync."

So you did get a sync?

Bob

Collapse -
eh yes
by adamsjason / October 19, 2007 5:55 AM PDT

I have a pda (old one) and have a smart phone from work - the pda connects to the pc, via a cradle, into a different usb port - as i said i disconnected the pda cradle from its normal port and tried it in a front port - no problem. Tried the phone into the usb port thats normally used by the pda no detection - you answered my other pda posting last night - Activesync Conflict

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6140_102-0.html?forumID=57&threadID=268352&messageID=2608982

Collapse -
Time to check your Orange settings.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2007 6:09 AM PDT

ActiveSync on the device can have options to sync via bluetooth, usb or some devices "serial." If this is set wrong your issue will occur.

Your last post shared details that would have me skip looking for motherboard drivers. In the future try to share such detail in your first post to save some trips through areas I know have helped but don't apply.

If the settings are right and if I see the picture proper then the USB cable or port on the phone has died.

Bob

Collapse -
that'll be the phone
by adamsjason / October 19, 2007 6:29 AM PDT

I tried a different cable - no difference - oh joy of joy

Thanks anyway

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.