Phones forum

General discussion

Smart phone for wi fi not phone

by mleung101 / January 28, 2010 5:13 AM PST

I'm looking to buy a smart phone but NOT to use it as a phone. I only want to use it to surf the internet and use it's applications like games and such. I would mainly use it at my house where I have access to free wi fi. Is it possible to purchase a smart phone like the new Palm Pre Plus that has wi fi capabilities and not use any cell phone carriers but still be able to use the wi fi feature? I currently don't need a cell phone but will next year so I would like to not activate the phone with any cell phone carriers (meaning not pay anything) until next year but still be able to surf the internet using it's wi fi feature this year.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Smart phone for wi fi not phone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Smart phone for wi fi not phone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
With certain handsets, yes.
by Pepe7 / January 28, 2010 5:28 AM PST

With certain smartphones & technologies you can indeed use the device w/o the cellular service. On my ATT branded Tilt (HTC 8925) I can on demand turn off the cellular radio and only use wifi. Other phones using the Windows Mobile operating system will likely have built-in or third party app ability to do this similarly. Carrier installed software/firmware is another issue entirely. I'm not certain if the same Windows Mobile handset on Verizon may be configured in the same way. You would benefit from popping over to howardforums.com and ask about specific handsets you wanted to buy for this purpose, in addition to the pre (verizon or Sprint version?).

If it's the Pre you're after, I'm not entirely certain you can even buy the newest Sprint or Verizon smartphones directly (unsubsidized, for full retail price) and not activate. Again, Howardforums will be able to answer this. FWIW, I see the Pre on ebay selling brand new for something outrageous like $500-650. Are you really going to spend this much (full retail +) for wifi use-only when a cheap netbook does so much more(?) If you don't buy either a new or renewal contract you will be paying substantially more for the same device.

-Pedro

Collapse -
heard of the iPod Touch?
by GBUofU / February 1, 2010 1:52 PM PST

The iPod touch would be the major device in the category you're looking at. Great web, lots of apps and games. But generally cheaper than a new smart phone such as the Pre. I actually ended up doing this same thing and bought an HTC Touch Pro, hoping it would be a good phone but if not, just use it as an internet device. Turns out it's not the best phone but the wi-fi, browser, apps & gps make it useful still. Especially the ability to make wifi skype calls using the WM Skype app.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?