Computer Help forum

General discussion

Smart Defrag from CNET

by Matt910 / March 1, 2009 7:03 AM PST

Beware this program, DO NOT DOWNLOAD OR USE!
This program just fatally screwed up my computer.
It fragmented the drive over 4 times worse than it was before downloading and running CNET's SMART DEFRAG program.
Thanks for the help CNET, will never download anything else from you, have been computing for over 20 years and never had anything screw up as bad as this program!
WARNING!!! DO NOT USE THE SMART DEFRAG PROGRAM!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Smart Defrag from CNET
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Smart Defrag from CNET
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Smart Defrag
by ramarc / March 1, 2009 7:26 AM PST
In reply to: Smart Defrag from CNET

Smart Defrag is from iobit software. CNET does not create, release, or endorse software... it just provides a safe place to download software from.

defraggers usually can't work properly with low diskspace and some cause problems if you continually interrupt them. if you have a problem with Smart Defrag, you should post your issue here or, better yet, at iobit.com's support center or forums.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Matt910 / March 2, 2009 7:06 AM PST
In reply to: Smart Defrag

Thank you very much for the information.
Matt

Collapse -
If you think the cause is fragmentation
by Steven Haninger / March 1, 2009 8:13 AM PST

just run Windows own defrag program. It does and adequate job. If you still have problems, I'm more prone to suspect you have other hardware or software issues. If you were already having slowdowns and used this program in an attempt to correct this, that may have been a mistake. Perhaps you already had a failing hard drive. Maybe data got re-written to suspect media. I haven't found that, with XP using NTFS, fragmentation causes any appreciable performance issues anyway.
Of course, what you are doing here, is complaining to the forum readership. It may allow you to vent but it's not likely to reach the persons you are angry with.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Matt910 / March 1, 2009 9:13 AM PST

Thanks for the reply. I am 54 years old and been computing since the first computers came out, we had 20 meg harddrives back then and ran stacker to double that small amount. I was taught programming many years ago and know my way around computers. The built in Windows defragger has always been totally inadaquate (sorry, no spell checker <G>)
all the windows built in defraggers have been little better than "better than nothing".
I have found DISK KEEPER LITE to be better than the built in versions in Windows, (though far from perfect) and am using it now to slowly
attempt to repair the drive which is newer and was in fairly good shape before downloading the Smart Defrag program.
Yes, I was definately venting my frustration with what this program did, but my main task was to warn other people what it could do to them before they were forced to go through what I am now. I still warn, DO NOT USE THIS PROGRAM!
Again, thank you for your reply, it was appreciated.

Collapse -
I never intend to use any defragger
by Steven Haninger / March 1, 2009 9:48 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

other than Windows. Years ago running DOS apps I would load up my PC with utilities and spend more time tuning my PC than using it. My favorite program was Central Point's PC Tools which competed with Norton Utilities. Symantec eventually swallows up Central Point Software on their way to becoming more of a behemoth than a boon to the PC user. Perhaps, back then, drive fragmentation was more an issue than now. Heck, if you recall 1:3 interleaved drives, you'll know what I mean by comparatively sluggish. Drive utilities have come and gone by the many dozens. Some did terrible things. Remember "Clean Sweep"? It was designed to prevent remnants of deleted programs from taking up precious hard drivespace. One of it's big problems was it would often "sweep" too hard and remove stuff it shouldn't....even parts of itself! Who worries about running out of hard drive space these days?

I'm a bit older than you are and have decided it's better to save a little time by not worrying so much about drive performance that I spend hours a week doing maintenance to save a few milliseconds of useful time. Take care. Happy

Collapse -
Right
by Matt910 / March 1, 2009 11:11 AM PST

How right you are! However maintenance is how I make my living, so I do spend a little more time than others keeping everything as up to date and as close to perfect as possible. I usually enjoy it.
And thanks for the memories, I remember PC Tools and all the norton utils, ahhh...those were the good old days... LOL I miss DOS, believe it or not, and still use it at times.
BTW, the dammage done by the "Smart" defragger was more extensive than I had thought. I started out with 17 fragmented files/directories and after running the new defrag program, had 134
fragmented files/directories. Some improvement, huh?
I usually use Diskeeper Lite, which actually DOES speed up the computer when done and does a MUCH better job than the built in WinXP defragger but even it couldn't undo the dammage done by the "Smart" One. It got it down to 56 after a 3 hour run. (usually takes 20 min)
Fortunately, outside defraggers (unlike Win Defrag) actually improve it with multiple passes so have to run it again and again, and hope for the best. I hate the thought of re-formatting, thats not near as much fun as in the old days, and you lose so much.
Have a nice night my friend!

Collapse -
I don't understand
by oldie and goody / March 2, 2009 2:44 AM PST
In reply to: Right

why, if you had diskeeper lite, you downloaded another defrag program.

Collapse -
A good question!
by Matt910 / March 2, 2009 4:47 AM PST
In reply to: I don't understand

Because I was foolishly (perhaps) searching for perfection. Or as close as possible to it anyhow. We often look for something more or better than what we have now...
Specifically: I learned long ago that the built in Win defraggers are far inferior to many outside programs, don't know why Win never had a really good defrag/optomize program.
Found Diskeeper Lite (free btw) a big improvement over it.
That said, even it left 1 or 2 bad files... (much lower than Win Defrag) but still just a few little fragments.
So, being me... I had to keep trying to see if there was something better out there, something that would make it perfect.
Seems I should have left almost "well enough" alone cause what I did made it much much worse instead of better. Still have many more fragments left than when I started, my quest for perfection seems to have made it worse. Maybe there is a lesson here for me...
maybe nothing is perfect...
but knowing me, I'll prob keep trying... <G>

Collapse -
Ummmm...........NO
by C1ay / March 1, 2009 10:19 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

"....been computing since the first computers came out, we had 20 meg harddrives back then...."

My first computer had 1kb, yes kb, of internal memory, and it wasn't a hard drive, and I bought an external 2kb expansion module for it. We stored programs on magnetic tape. Computers did not have 20mb hard drives when they first came out.

Collapse -
yes
by Matt910 / March 1, 2009 10:33 PM PST
In reply to: Ummmm...........NO

And remember when memory first came out at $50 for 1 meg of Ram?
Spent $200 for 4 meg of Ram and had more than anyone on the block, others had 640K. Them were the good old days... LOL Thanks!

Collapse -
(NT) I remember $199 for 2K of RAM
by C1ay / March 2, 2009 2:09 AM PST
In reply to: yes
Collapse -
Expensive
by Matt910 / March 2, 2009 4:16 AM PST

Wow, you must have started a year or 2 earlier than I did. Isn't it amazing how cheap and how much memory we have now compared to what it was? Hard to believe 1 program using 100's of meg of RAM...
Cough...AOL...

Collapse -
(NT) That was for my ZX80 back in 1980
by C1ay / March 2, 2009 5:02 AM PST
In reply to: Expensive
Collapse -
me too
by Matt910 / March 2, 2009 7:03 AM PST

I also run the defragger on a daily basis. I think I may have too much free time on my hands...LOL
Never used to with the Win defragger, but after using DKLite, I was amazed at how much and how fast defragmentation can occur. Prob only necessary once a week but I actually run the cleanup and cookie removal programs and then the defrag nightly. Only takes a couple minutes when run that often.
What is "Total Defrag?" Do you mean like a full defrag or is Total the name of one I haven't tried yet?
Many Thanks!

Collapse -
(NT) Proffitt: ^^^Your reply's over here^^^
by C1ay / March 2, 2009 8:38 AM PST
In reply to: me too
Collapse -
Any tests on Total Defrag?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2009 5:21 AM PST

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!