HolidayBuyer's Guide

Small business & Startups forum

General discussion

Small Office Productivity

by ZachieZombie / August 18, 2014 7:41 AM PDT

I'm editor of a small newspaper/print shop but I work from college and am not ever in the office. Currently I'm using logmein to access my computers on an on demand basis which is fine for what I have to get done.

My problems are:
We don't have somebody in the office full time to answer calls
Theres no timeclock
We have no way to track inventory

We use quickbooks and I believe there is a way to add inventory to that.

I'm really concerned about what I could do to get phone calls at my desk that don't get answered in the office. Is there a way to forward a call that comes over our landline to a voip phone that I'd have at my desk? I'm trying to not have to go through the hassle of changing our phone number.

The other two things I'm just looking for advice. My boss passed away in April and I've sort of taken over just to make sure things keep running but these are kind of making it tricky for me to stay on top of customer service.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Small Office Productivity
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Small Office Productivity
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm unsure where you are
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 18, 2014 7:46 AM PDT

But answering machines are all too common along with cell phones you can have those that you want to call you directly could do that.

If there is no timeclock, then why have one now?
Bob

Collapse -
About forwarding.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 18, 2014 7:56 AM PDT

All the phone companies here off that. Why VOIP? Is this some shill post for others to spam VOIP?
Bob

Collapse -
Definitely not spam
by ZachieZombie / August 18, 2014 8:30 AM PDT

By the tone of your message it seems I may have wasted my time coming here for some advice. But I will explain my situation a little more.

I have customers getting annoyed with always getting the answering machine. We are adding employees and need a way to keep track of hours spent thats not pen and paper. I already am forwarding anything emailed and addressed to me to my phone but people are charged for a long distance call if they call my cell which is why I'm trying to avoid that, but they need to talk to me. My office is in South Dakota in the middle of nowhere. There's one phone provider and when I asked them about this they basically said uh...no. So I turned to the internet...I'm looking for possible solutions. If voip isn't the answer then I will look into something else. I have no clue where to start.

Maybe its not even forwarding. What I want to do is:
Receive call on office landline
Transfer to me if they need to speak to me
Or call me directly

Like I said I'm trying to eliminate long distance charges but if theres no way around it I'll fall back to the cell plan. Being a student and working another job I'm trying to avoid using my cell unless its an emergency.

Currently there is two employees but we wanna up that to 5. We used to have a timeclock but it died and we never got a replacement because it was just him and me but with the added employees we want a more definite way to keep track of hours not, "ohh i think i was in around 12."

Collapse -
Where are you ?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 18, 2014 8:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Definitely not spam

Here, for the basic lines there is no LD charges in all of North America so there would be no need for VOIP.

There are timeclocks at the usual Office stores, apps for that so I'm guessing you are in some very remote area that has no decent phone service, Office store or even Amazon?

There are VOIP spammers that love such posts. Moderators show them the love,
Bob

Collapse -
Wow..
by ZachieZombie / August 18, 2014 3:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Where are you ?

I was looking for advice...someones opinion on a computer based timeclock since I'm not in my office to physically use one. Just looked at my phone providers website again and oh hey...My office is 2 hours from the nearest office store..walmart..whatever you can name. But I came here for advice not to argue. So you and the stick up your *** can waste other peoples time and I'll look for opinions somewhere else. Good night.

Collapse -
As you can tell, advice varies with location.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 19, 2014 12:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Wow..

The VOIP question was often a lead in to a shill/spammer which upset you by me asking. If you get this easily upset, I fear you may be upset no matter where you go.

I don't mind chatting about solutions but something's odd about all this. Timeclocks are at the local store ready to pick one up and we're done. If you wanted a software time clock, then all the details of the server and apps need to get a going over.

Maybe you are upset at the need for detail?
Bob

Collapse -
by ZachieZombie / August 19, 2014 11:54 AM PDT

I'm not upset about anything, but I should have been prepared to deal with people like you when I turned to the internet. You should be happy though. I was able to find help somewhere else just by copy and pasting what I started with here. Apparently you just had a problem with how I came across.

I was originally looking for peoples opinions about what they use for software timeclocks and what they might use to satisfy what I had specified as far as the phone was concerned. I've read through many websites looking for something but I figured getting an answer from a real person would be a little easier. I had my mind set on redcort software but didn't want to sway the discussion in any direction. As for the phone I thought that voip was the only solution. I didn't know. I don't know. This is all new to me. Its just funny you keep saying locally this or that is available. But its not. I'm 5 hours away from my office and my office is 2 hours away from the nearest city. The only thing there is a gas station. Last I checked they don't sell timeclocks.

I still don't understand why you replied how you did at first. Its a great first impression to have a "moderator" treating you like you're an idiot without even having a conversation.

It just sucks this website doesn't let me delete my account.

Collapse -
Just alert this and you can get it gone.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 19, 2014 12:07 PM PDT
In reply to: ...

Sorry but your top post lead with timeclock but you wanted a software timeclock. Good to hear you found some answers.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.