General discussion

Small Home Network

I am having trouble getting my two desktops to share files and print.

I have a DSL connection to Westell Modem to Netgear Wireless router to 1st desktop computer running XP pro. The second conputer is connected by wireless pci card and running XP home.

I installed everthing and the internet works on both computers. The only problem is that I can not share files or the printer.

I ran the "set up a small network" wizard on both computers, and gave them both the same workgroup name...When I click on My networks, then add a network place, then browse they both see the other, but when I try to access the shared folders they both say that access is denied. (//family access us denied. You may not have access to this computer, check with the system administrator for access rights...)

SO NOW WHAT. Is is a firewall thing with the wireless router? Do I need to go modem, router, then to a wireless router?

Thanks.....

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Small Home Network
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Small Home Network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
XP Firewall

Make sure the XP firewall is turned off on both systems. A large number of people run into this problem for whatever reason.

- Collapse -
no help

I tried killing the XP firewall in both computers, and also in the router software, same problem...

Thanks anyway.

- Collapse -
Services

Check Control Panel/Admin. Tools/Services and see if Workstation is on Automatic and started. If not, set to Automatic and restart machine(s).

I had same prob. message on my xp home machine last night, and this cured the communication problem with my xp pro unit.

- Collapse -
polder options

open my computer-goto tools -goto folder options-put a check mark in enable simple file sharing

then right click on the file you want to share and select sharing and security and give the drive name like c or d wherever the file is located

hope this helps

- Collapse -
right click and share

right click printers and folders you want to share and select the option to share the folder on the network Also there is an option to alow other Network users to change you files I would select that also or else they will be read only

CNET Forums

Forum Info