Small business & Startups forum

General discussion

Small Business Solution Needed

by bluheavenlee / March 1, 2010 5:58 AM PST

I have a friend who is currently using Quickbooks Pro 2008 (multi-user) on her Windows PC (which she is going to stop using), as the only user so far. She wanted her employees to be able to share Quickbooks with her so she bought 3 Macs (2 of them are minis) instead of buying more PCs because she was afraid of getting viruses. She cannot use this version of Quickbooks on her Macs because it will not convert over smoothly and Quickbooks for Macs are single-users only. To solve this problem, I installed Parallels Desktop 5 to run Windows virtually - however, this also opens up viruses (which she wanted to avoid but was the only logical way to use Quickbooks).

I'm thinking, in order for her and her employees to simultaneously use Quickbooks, I will need to install it on a file server, correct? If so, how do I go about doing that - would I she need to buy a server or can we use the PC that it is currently installed on as the server? If I am to use the current PC, would I need to buy a Windows server OS?

Also, the Macs are not networked together (other than being wirelessly connected on a router for Internet access) along with other computers that belong to her sister. Any suggestions on this, too?

Thank You.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Small Business Solution Needed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Small Business Solution Needed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
QuickBooks online
by EcommerceDeveloper / March 12, 2010 2:08 AM PST

Have you tried QuickBooks on-line version?

Collapse -
QuickBooks Online
by bluheavenlee / March 14, 2010 11:52 PM PDT
In reply to: QuickBooks online

No, I have not tried QuickBooks Online. Please tell me more about it.

Collapse -
Re: Quickbooks online
by Kees Bakker / March 15, 2010 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: QuickBooks Online
Collapse -
Make use of Cloud
by kartikyadav / August 17, 2015 12:39 AM PDT

Post was last edited on August 17, 2015 12:59 AM PDT

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?