Laptops forum

General discussion

Small Business Laptop confusion

by KatRWall / July 7, 2004 10:49 AM PDT

Hey there I have been looking at computers for over 4 months now, and frankly extremely leery of purchasing anything that says ?all in one solution?.

I have a small embroidery business, and need a unit that is portable (for customer consultations) and powerful but (asking for the impossible here I realize) affordable on a very tight budget.

I am working with a program that digitizes pictures into embroidery designs, and a Vector graphics program for my original artwork, both are heavy duty on the memory and graphics display. (frequently I have both open at the same time, or at least try too)

I am also building our website (from base code) so need something flexible and wont tick me off with ?how can we muck up your code? or ?I?m not going to read that cause its not a web builder program?. Currently these are the problems I am encountering with our overly ancient desktop pc.

I also need something that cannot only do the heavy technical stuff, but the mundane day-to-day business junk, and still let me surf and play the Internet without a conflict?

If someone could help me with some specs, and suggestions that would be really great?

Thanks
Kat

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Small Business Laptop confusion
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Small Business Laptop confusion
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Small Business Laptop confusion
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 7, 2004 12:20 PM PDT

This can be easy. What you use now that works for you?

Bob

Collapse -
by KatRWall / July 7, 2004 1:48 PM PDT

Ok you can start cringing now?
Currently I am using a desktop that is made up of two pc clones I cannibalized to make a working computer three years ago (P3, 200mb, 2mb hard drive 16bit vid .. it gets worse but you get the picture)? its not working well at all, its crashing, burping (i.e. the evil blue screen of death) and in a general state of nervous break down? it just can NOT handle what I am trying to cajole it into doing?

I have hijacked my parents HP Pavilion (about a year old) a few times, that works well, but it bogs down with the graphic software I use? starts acting like a first generation P2 straining under the weight of Windows 98?:)(don?t have the specs on that one right now)

I?m not sure if I should go with the Centrino technology or the Pentium? there are good and bad sides to both? the HP Pavilion seems to have a heat problem if you don?t have it on a hard surface, or if a cord happens to get in the way of the vent on the bottom left side (which is where the modem line pugs in).

I think I need at least a 2.4g hard drive, 256 memory (at the very least, max would be better) and I think I need something that has dedicated memory for the video card ? seems to me it should, to keep it from bogging down ? I do know I need to have at least a 15 inch screen (it?s a must for the graphics). I forgot to mention I will be also be using scanned and digital camera images?

I guess mostly what I need is a graphics laptop?

How am I doing so far?
Kat

Collapse -
by KatRWall / July 8, 2004 12:05 PM PDT

Mr. Proffitt

ok I have been looking at this one today.. its similar to the one my parents have, but there are a few perks theirs doesn't have...

hp Pavilion
15.0" diagonal TFT XGA screen
40GB hard drive
DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive
integrated 802.11g wireless LAN modem
2.8GHz Intel Celeron processor
56MB DDR SDRAM at 266MHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4X AGP and 3-D architecture with 64MB DDR
16-bit Sound Blaster Pro-compatible audio
internal Altec Lansing speakers
AC audio link
volume control/mute buttons
101-key compatible keyboard
touchpad with on/off button and dedicated vertical scroll up/down
Type I/II 16-bit with support for 32-bit card bus slot
three USB 2.0 ports
parallel SPP/ECP standard interface
headphone out
microphone in
15-pin VGA slot
S-video/TV out
RJ-11 modem port
RJ-45 LAN port
90W AC adapter
8-cell lithium ion battery

Its being listted at $1145 plus shipping...

Collapse -
by Critter_97 / July 8, 2004 1:32 PM PDT

What bothers me is the celeron processor. They can get pretty bogged down with the graphics programs. I'd stick with an athlon XP or athlon 64 or pentium 4 or pentium M. All those would work better with graphics intensive programs.

Collapse -
You can do better.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2004 8:58 PM PDT

The Athlon 64 laptop with dedicated video memory, CDRW and more has been spotted for 1199 from Compaq/HP.

But let me comment that from what you have before and functioning, any new laptop will handily beat the older machine if a few items are adhered to.

1. You know to keep the parasites out.

Many new to XP owners connect to the internet and the worms invade the machine within minutes. The next words you read is their new machine is slower than the old. So learn how to install a firewall or use ICF before you connect.

More reading at http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

2. "56MB DDR SDRAM at 266MHz "

I'll take that as a typo and it was 256MB. This is 1/2 the RAM for XP to show off it's best results. For 1199, I've seen the Athlon 64 laptops with 512M RAM and similar equipment.

Happy shopping,
Bob

Collapse -
Re: You can do better.
by KatRWall / July 9, 2004 2:31 AM PDT
In reply to: You can do better.

Thanks Bob and Critter, that is helpful.

Yes it was a typo (know better than to type when I'm tried)... yea anything is going to be better than what I am currently struggling with... but desided its got to be "just right".. Tired of being irritated, with reboots, lost work, and that horrid blue screen..

I have been really leary of getting anything with ME or XP versions because of all the problems my folks and friends have had (I'm usually the one they call to fix it).. but like you said a good firewall would help I'll check out that site you listed..

thanks again
Kat

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!