Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

slybo sophos scan

I decided to try the Sophos Anti-Rootkit and the scan showed two items. But it said NO on the removal of both items. Does this mean they cannot be removed and that they are good or bad. First time using this program so what does it mean if it says NO on the removal? Here are the two files it found

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\CmdMapping\{c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a}

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\Cache\Extensible Cache\MSHist012003061720030618

I have ran all my other scans and everything seems ok and I am not having any problems but would like to learn what this means. I am using windows xp and have Avast Antivirus, Defender, Ad-Aware, and Avg AntiSpyware. Thanks Slybo

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: slybo sophos scan
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: slybo sophos scan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sly........

In reply to: slybo sophos scan

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\CmdMapping\{c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a}

Description Alexa_registry_entry Registry key that creates a menu item that points to a local web page that points to an MSN search page that uses the Alexa engine.

http://www.castlecops.com/o9list-12.html

How can I get rid of "Alexa"?

http://www.spywareremove.com/removeSoftwareMicrosoftInternetExplorerExtensionsCmdMappingc95fe0808f5d11d2a20b00aa003c157a.html

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\5.0\Cache\Extensible Cache\MSHist012003061720030618

Extensible Cache > have a look here:

http://www.wbaudisch.de/DeletingHistory/index.html

http://www.wbaudisch.de/HistoryInspector.htm

Collapse -
More help

In reply to: Sly........

Thanks Marianna for the quick reply. I looked at your information and it looks like I should run the Alexa auto removal tool, right? But the one about extensible cache I do not see what I should do from the sites you gave, can you help me on what the site should be telling me? Thanks slybo

Collapse -
index.dat

In reply to: More help

I read more about the index.dat. I have ccleaner and have this unchecked. Do I just need to run ccleaner and check this to solve my problem? slybo

Collapse -
(NT) Yes - CCleaner can do it by checking the index dat.file

In reply to: index.dat

Collapse -
Alexa Removal Instructions

In reply to: More help

Before you can delete files, you must first stop all the Alexa processes that are running in memory.
Do this by ending all processes from the Task Manager.
Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to open the Windows Task Manager. If you see multiple
"tabs," click on the "Processes" tab. For each process that you would like
to kill, find the process name in the list, click it to select it, and click
the "End Process" button.

more: http://www.safer-networking.com/removeAlexa.php
Collapse -
Spyhunter results

In reply to: Alexa Removal Instructions

Thanks Marianna, I had did a search on google before I posted here and found nothing on this subject so I was amazed at what you had found and so quick. The scan with Spyhunter only found Wild Tangent which I knew I had. Since it found no Alexa I am going to assume I am ok and that item that sophos found is something left over that I must have deleted a long time ago and is causing me no harm. So I am going to close the issue unless you think I should do something else. I am also going to leave the index.dat file alone since I have read that you should leave that unchecked in CCleaner as it has caused problems when you have CCleaner delete them. Running Spyhunter has made me feel better and again I say thanks. slybo

Collapse -
spyhunter

In reply to: Spyhunter results

The Spyhunter that Marianna had be download does not say how long it is good for just that it was free. Is this one that is one that expires or is it no expiration for the program. Thanks slybo

Collapse -
SpyHunter?? You mean TrojanHunter??

In reply to: spyhunter

TrojanHunter has a trial for 30 days.

SpyHunter has a free scanner:

http://www.spywareremove.com/

Sly - did you run SpybotS&D ? I "think" it finds Alexa IF it is still on your computer.

I delete the index. dat and never had any problems........ knocking on wood Wink

You're Welcome Happy

Collapse -
spywareremove

In reply to: SpyHunter?? You mean TrojanHunter??

I was talking about Spyhunter from spywareremove.com that you gave me the link for in the first post from you. So I guess it is the free scanner. I think I will take a chance with deleting the index.dat files with CCleaner if you say you have had no problems. Thanks for your help. slybo

Collapse -
spybotS&D

In reply to: spywareremove

I have not used SpybotS&D but Spyhunter said it would remove Alexa so that is good enough for me. Thanks slybo

Collapse -
I also use CCleaner to delete index.dat files Sly, NO

In reply to: spywareremove

problems here doing that either.

Collapse -
roddy32

In reply to: I also use CCleaner to delete index.dat files Sly, NO

Thanks roddy32, its always good to hear from people who have done something first. I think I read that it was not good to do on the CCleaner forum or some other forum but as we know you can read just about anything on any subject. Best to hear from people like you that have done it. Thanks as always slybo

Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome Sly :)

In reply to: roddy32

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.