Computer Help forum

General discussion

SLOWWWW

by tonnso / January 28, 2010 7:10 AM PST

hey i tried to downgrade my laptop ages ago to xp then had to recover everything because i wanted vista again as my drivers werent avaliable for xp ever since them my laptop has been very slow any ideas??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SLOWWWW
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SLOWWWW
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Even Vista
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2010 7:15 AM PST
In reply to: SLOWWWW

Would need 10 or so drivers. Without make, model and how this laptop has 512MB RAM we can't start a discussion.
Bob

Collapse -
specs
by tonnso / January 28, 2010 7:26 AM PST
In reply to: Even Vista

sorry lol i never think of listing them
er lets see
2 gb ram
vista home basic
hp g60 pavillion
as far as i know my drivers are up to date (i used a driver checker)
amd athlon x2 64 1.9 ghz

Collapse -
Most driver checkers have been failures.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2010 7:37 AM PST
In reply to: specs

A clean Vista install (I'm left to guess here) would need about 10 drivers.

Just because the Device Manager and that driver checker said it was OK doesn't help much.

The 2 methods I use are:

1. Use the restore media. If still slow I have to remember it is Vista and give it a day to index and more.

2. Use the Microsoft Vista DVD? Then at minimum I want the motherboard chipset drivers, audio and video drivers. After that we worry about wifi, lan, memory card, CPU driver, trackpad and what else?

You can see why I don't like to spend days installing Windows.
Bob

Collapse -
drivers
by tonnso / January 28, 2010 7:41 AM PST

oh ok so how do i figure out my drivers???

Collapse -
The model number would be a start.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2010 8:47 AM PST
In reply to: drivers

Example.

Pavilion G60-530CA

Then go to hp.com and get the drivers from there.
Bob

Collapse -
Reposting for stephenlli.
by Kees Bakker / January 28, 2010 6:11 PM PST
In reply to: SLOWWWW

"To speed up your laptop,you should perform quite a lot maintenance tasks regularly.

1. Defragment your system disk once a month.

2. Remove unneeded programs to release more hard drive space for the system.

3. Cleanup Windows registry errors to fix and avoid system problems.

4. Disable unnecessary programs on the startup.

5. Terminate unuseful WIndows services on your computer.

6. Update device drivers."

That was the post by stephen. However, I let out the link to one of the usual "scan your registry, we find 500 errors and have you pay $29.95 to solve them"-programs.

The above solutions possibly are useful. Just some comments.
1. A regular defrag has - at most - a minor influence on the performance.
2. Freeing disc space by uninstalling programs is a minor thing. Programs usually don't take much space.
3. The influence of registry cleaners on the performance is doubtful.
4/5. Not running things you don't need to run always is a good idea. One can add checks for malware to the list.
6. The best advice here: don't fix if it ain't broken.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?