Computer Help forum

General discussion

slow to start up - possible software conflicts??

I have windows XP on my computer, and I also have Norton 2005 anti virus and zone alarm firewall. The two appear to be interfering with each other and my computer is really slow to start up. I have a wireless network (Belkin Wireless Pre-N router) and I was wondering as the router has a firewall built in can I safely get rid of zone alarm. My windows update also wont work properly now, every time I run it the software downloads ok, but it wont install.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: slow to start up - possible software conflicts??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: slow to start up - possible software conflicts??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes

In reply to: slow to start up - possible software conflicts??

If the router has a firewall, there's no need for ZoneAlarm. Also, while you're at it, you'd probably do well to dump Norton for something else as well. Quality control at Symantec has been in a nosedive for years, as evidenced by some recent high profile blunders that should never have been allowed to happen, which are quickly becoming the rule rather than the exception. You can replace it with whatever you like, the threat from viruses is being eclipsed by malware, but since you seem sensitive about your system's performance, I would steer clear of McAfee.

Also, when you uninstall ZoneAlarm, be sure to switch off XP's firewall as well.

Collapse -
I also have a lot of other security software

In reply to: Yes

I may have gone overboard with the security software in general! I have ad-aware, spybot search and destroy, and spyware blaster. I also have a 80GB hard disk, but I've got lots of music files saved on it so about 34GB are full. I have been told that once I go over 50% full the computer performance overall slows down. I've tried turning off all unnecessary start-up programmes (using the feature in Spybot) but it didn't help much

Collapse -
Myth

In reply to: I also have a lot of other security software

It's a myth that performance degrades when you drive is filled past 50% capacity. Pointless activities like defragmenting might suffer, but overall performance won't. At least not until you reach the point where you only have a few MB left, and need some space for your swap file to grow, but there isn't any. I'd try and leave at least 1GB free for that possibility, but other than that, go nuts.

Also, if you use Internet Explorer, Outlook/Outlook Express, file sharing/P2P programs, or MS Office, you really can't go overboard on the security. No matter how much you have, it'll never be enough. Which is why I advise people not to use those programs.

One possible thing to check, is Spybot comes with a program called TeaTimer, which is supposed to keep any single program from having too much CPU time. It's a noble effort, but I find it more of a nuisance than a help. If you have it running, you might try switching it off.

Collapse -
Norton

In reply to: Yes

Just an Ole Mans' Ramblings.....
I agree & Disagree... Norton has indeed gone to He** in a Hand basket
I disagree on "Big Mac"... Why?...
Three (3) machines in this house..two (2) "Home Brew" (as we used to say in Amatuer Radio)and one (1)"Store Bought".

(1)Store bought with Win Home & AVG; without problems
(2) This Home Brew with Win XP Pro and "big Mac" and absolutely no problems (Xcept when I first put in IE7; Since straightened out)
(3) Home Brew with Win XP Home & Norton. (Have a good used Norton with all the whistles & bells for cheep money if your interested; was a gift.)Number three will be getting another AV soon; tired of Grandaughter complaining about "Her Machine"...
Think that someone sooner or later will wake up at Norton and get back to a good product. A FREE-BEE working better than big buck AV...Not good!!!!!

Collapse -
slow to start up - possible software conflicts??

In reply to: Norton

Lucy, may I ask a quick question.... (and I'm not trying to be a smart a**) on a scale of 1 to 10 what is you computer skill level? I ask for a reason because I would like to offer a few suggestions that have worked for me and many others I recommended it too
puppadave

Collapse -

about 5 I'd say - I started out with an Apple Mac and I found them far easier to understand and fix, but the software was too expensive so when it need replacing we upgraded to a PC. I find them a lot less user friendly

Collapse -
lucy

In reply to: 5

be back in about 5 minutes or less with a sugesstion

Collapse -
Lucys' Slow Computer

In reply to: 5

lucy: Here is what I want you to try..it is easier than it looks..Clean up your dat file!!! CAUTION: Print this out and review each step as you do it....CAREFULLY
1. RE-BOOT As it starts to reboot hit the F8 key (repeatedly)
2. a black screen with white letters will come up: with Cursor choose
Safe Mode With Command Prompt (Enter)(Could take 5-10 minutes)
3. a choice screen will come up: Log on (click)Administrator
4. The Command Prompt screen will come up: Black with white letters is a small box.... Look for the following Line
C:Documents and Settings\Administrator>
5. Type this (exactly)cd\ (Enter) Shud look like this:
C:\Documents and settings\Administrator>cd:\
6. Computer will display: C:\>
Type this (exactly)del index.dat/s
looks like c:\del index.dat/s (Enter) NOTE: TAKES SEVERAL MINUTES.DO NOT turn off computer!! Be Patient!!!!
7. when finished CLEANING, Computer again displays C:\>
Type this (exactly) shutdown -r
looks like C:\shutdown -r (enter)
8. Computer will re-boot in about 30-40 seconds; You can now DEFRAG your machine and it should run alot faster.. If this does not help feel free to email me and give me HE**
puppadave@comcast.net

Collapse -
lucy78green

In reply to: Lucys' Slow Computer

Lucy..have not heard from you so I am retyping out those dat file cleaning again and I hope it helps you
Clean up your dat file!!!

CAUTION: Print this out and review each step as you do it....CAREFULLY

Step1. RE-BOOT: As it starts to reboot and before the Windows XP logo; Hit the F8 key (repeatedly)

Step2. A black screen with white letters will come up: with Cursor choose;

Safe Mode With Command Prompt (Enter) (Could take 5-10 minutes)

Step3. A choice screen will come up: Log on (click) Administrator

Step4. The Command Prompt screen will come up: Black with white letters is in a small box.. Look for the following Line;
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

Step5. Type this (exactly) cd\ (Enter) Should look like this:

C:\Documents and settings\Administrator>cd:\

Step6. Computer will display: C:\> Type this (exactly;)del index.dat /s looks like;
C:\del index.dat /s (Enter)
NOTE: TAKES SEVERAL MINUTES.DO NOT turn off computer!! Be Patient!!!!

Step7. When finished CLEANING, Computer again displays C:\> Type this (exactly) shutdown ?r looks like
C:\shutdown -r (Enter)

Step8. Computer will re-boot in about 30-40 seconds; You can now DEFRAG your machine and it should run a lot faster.. If this does not help feel free to email me and give me HE**

puppadave@comcast.net

Collapse -
laptop!

In reply to: lucy78green

Sorry had to wait until I could hook my laptop up to a printer! The printer wont network! Not sure if it worked yet - it was 3% fragmented so it's now 0% - I've just uninstalled zone alarms so I'll reboot and see how long it takes this time!

Collapse -
i hate xp

In reply to: laptop!

Ok, it still takes five minutes from the time when I type my password in to log on until all the icons have loaded in the taskbar and the internet will work. The Windows updater also wont work even when I turn off the anti virus software to do it - it will download but the software wont install. Even after turning off windows firewall as well it still appears to come on automatically as a safety type thing (I hate XP!)

Collapse -
Lucy's Slow Computer

In reply to: i hate xp

Sorry Kiddo...
I agree with the Get Rid Of Norton advise... Try to delete it and then try for Avast or Avg
From reading you post I find that you have a laptop and they can become very tricky.....I am typing to you and reloading to my left a Toshiba that was doing the same thing.. You notice I said I was re-loading it.. I tried serveal different things and finially said re-format and reload..Sorry Lucy.. I wish I could be more help
puppadave

Collapse -
re: software conflicts??

Generally it is a bad idea to run more than one firewall at a time. The router's firewall is probably the best. Turn off the Norton firewall and make sure the Windows firewall also is turned off.

Norton, more than anything else is probably causing much of the slow performance. I'd suggest getting rid of it. An excellent free AV is AVG Anti-Virus Free. While at AVG I highly recommend downloading and running AVG Anti-Spyware Free. After AVG Anti-Spyware's trial period is over, rather than buying it you can just update and run it manually.

If you havn't already done so, it never hurts to clean out Temporary Internet and History files, empty the Recycle bin, and run Defrag.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to check out Bob's Anti-Parasite Suite

As far a cleaning the .dat files mentioned. the free Index.dat Suite makes it much easier, especially there Automatic Index.dat cleaner.

Hope this is helpful.

Charlie

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.