Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Slow to highlight / open folders in winxp

by tcantrelln / March 17, 2005 10:46 PM PST

One of our local workstations-lan connected, has begun to take excessively long time to highlight / open some folders. ( Have view tools set to - single click, underline when pointed @) similar folders in same directory highlight and will open instantly-but the offenders will sometimes take many seconds to highlight or open- if I hover on top of folder icon-right click-open the action is near instant but if I close and come back to hover, the time lag is still there. tried clearing prefetch, tried editing registry for different prefetcher #'s (1-2-3-) tried creating new folder-copy all contents and delete old one, not much difference, copied entire partition contents to new partition..other computers show no inclination to do this-stations are all Intel D865 mainboards-P4 2.6's to 3.0's. tried disconnecting completely from lan, chkdisk-defrag, etc.. any ideas (2 Hd's, 5 partitions- C kept primarily for OS and programs-others for data and shares-etc) TIA

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow to highlight / open folders in winxp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow to highlight / open folders in winxp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's explorer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2005 10:51 PM PST

It does a lot of things such as icon building and as such can take a very long time. Some machines will have "add-ins" that explorer will call to render the icon and this will vary from machine to machine. There is no cure.

If I want to go fast, I use Gyula's Navigator which is a true file and directory browser which Explorer is not.

Your issue is a common complaint is best answered that its a matter of education that Explorer is not a file browser.

Bob

Collapse -
If I could use Gyula I would
by tcantrelln / March 18, 2005 2:55 AM PST
In reply to: That's explorer.

But policies won't permit-is there something I could do icon cache trick wise ( simpler icons - etc?) or de-density the worst offender folders??

Collapse -
This is Explorer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2005 3:45 AM PST

This is one of Explorer's issues. You'll have to check into any extensions loaded for images, video and more. There is no click-click fixed for this one.

As this is a tarpit issue, all I can do is ask you look up the right click extension manager and if you can't use ANY third party tools to sort this out, then I can't help you.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!