Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Slow start

by Joe50 / May 6, 2004 11:26 PM PDT

Hi, I am using Windows-2000 Pro. with all the latest upgrade. P-III-700 MHz with 450 Mb of RAM. Lately my computer an IBM Laptop, takes longer and longer to start. I have installed and use very often Ad-aware. Is there any way that I can see all the programs that are started while the PC start.
Thanks all.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow start
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow start
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Slow start. MEASURE it!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2004 12:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Slow start

I can compare my Acer P3-600 with 256M RAM to see if your startup time is one of line. Let's start off with 5 minutes would be too long.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Slow start. MEASURE it!
by Joe50 / May 7, 2004 1:03 AM PDT

Robert, from the time I turn the computer ON, Enter my pasword and the hardisk stop spinnning and I could enter something thru the key board, I counted 6 min 23 sec. Is this what you are looking for.

Collapse -
Remove the hard disk stop spinning.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2004 1:27 AM PDT

That is not stopping you from logon or using the machine. There are many delayed processes and log files to be updated.

Just for refence, time from power on to hard disk stop on my p3-600 w/256M RAM is about 6 minutes as well. And I consider my setup very well tuned.

How long till you see the logon?

The reason this is what I measure to see if there is an issue is that users can add far too much to their startup so I limit that to this logon box since that is a nice benchmark to see if I will dive in to see if there is an issue.

Collapse -
Re:Remove the hard disk stop spinning.
by Joe50 / May 7, 2004 1:33 AM PDT

I would say about 50 sec. I see by your answer that all seem OK with my PC. Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
You beat my setup by quite a bit.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2004 2:05 AM PDT

To logon screen = 120 seconds.
To be able to click the start menu = 165 seconds
IE up and page displayed = 215 seconds

Hard disk stop at 4.5 minutes.

BUT I've curbed many services (look at Black Viper to decide) and use the Free AVG AntiVirus since it's less of an impact. For a firewall I use the native Tcpip security settings. I've yet to see any Worm/Virus issues on my machines.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?