Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Slow start

by Joe50 / May 6, 2004 11:26 PM PDT

Hi, I am using Windows-2000 Pro. with all the latest upgrade. P-III-700 MHz with 450 Mb of RAM. Lately my computer an IBM Laptop, takes longer and longer to start. I have installed and use very often Ad-aware. Is there any way that I can see all the programs that are started while the PC start.
Thanks all.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Re:Slow start. MEASURE it!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2004 12:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Slow start

I can compare my Acer P3-600 with 256M RAM to see if your startup time is one of line. Let's start off with 5 minutes would be too long.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Slow start. MEASURE it!
by Joe50 / May 7, 2004 1:03 AM PDT

Robert, from the time I turn the computer ON, Enter my pasword and the hardisk stop spinnning and I could enter something thru the key board, I counted 6 min 23 sec. Is this what you are looking for.
Thanks.

Collapse -
Remove the hard disk stop spinning.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2004 1:27 AM PDT

That is not stopping you from logon or using the machine. There are many delayed processes and log files to be updated.

Just for refence, time from power on to hard disk stop on my p3-600 w/256M RAM is about 6 minutes as well. And I consider my setup very well tuned.

How long till you see the logon?

The reason this is what I measure to see if there is an issue is that users can add far too much to their startup so I limit that to this logon box since that is a nice benchmark to see if I will dive in to see if there is an issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Remove the hard disk stop spinning.
by Joe50 / May 7, 2004 1:33 AM PDT

I would say about 50 sec. I see by your answer that all seem OK with my PC. Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
You beat my setup by quite a bit.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2004 2:05 AM PDT

To logon screen = 120 seconds.
To be able to click the start menu = 165 seconds
IE up and page displayed = 215 seconds

Hard disk stop at 4.5 minutes.

BUT I've curbed many services (look at Black Viper to decide) and use the Free AVG AntiVirus since it's less of an impact. For a firewall I use the native Tcpip security settings. I've yet to see any Worm/Virus issues on my machines.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!