General discussion

Slow star for about 5 minutes.

by laporte2 / January 18, 2007 10:56 PM PST

IMB Laptop T-30
Speed: 2.2 Ghz
40 Gb Hardisk
Windows XP Pro -2 with all latest upgrade
----------
After Windows installed, the hardisk keep working for about 5 minutes.
For those first 5 minutes, the computer is very slow and after that thing become OK.
1- Is this normal.
2- Can I see what cause this slow down.
3- What do you suggest I do to stop that.
Thanks for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow star for about 5 minutes.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow star for about 5 minutes.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Slow star for about 5 minutes.
by laporte2 / January 18, 2007 10:59 PM PST

I also forget to mention that my memory is 512 Mb.
Sorry about this.

Collapse -
Now you get to install the drivers
by linkit / January 18, 2007 11:05 PM PST

No installation of XP is finished until you install the proper drivers. Download and install the latest drivers for your notebook from Lenovo.com.

Collapse -
Lenovo
by laporte2 / January 18, 2007 11:20 PM PST

This was done last week and done again this morning.
The answer was nothing to new to detect.

Collapse -
Had some questions at 1 am with MSN abt. Updates,WMP11,WGA
by DarCLew2 / January 19, 2007 2:07 AM PST
In reply to: Lenovo

His first question was do you have Antivirus? How about Antispyware?? I have 1 and 3 installed. I have seen others complaints on some issues. Even IE7 & Service Pack 2 wanting to install BEFORE updates were finished, IE7, I unchecked the box since I already had the Malicious Tool installed. Rollup-1 that if I had to back to original install, about 40 updates will go also. All my CD's are CD-R's from over 3 years ago until they said that was copyrighted material so I stopped using P2P's but there was a flaw in WMP11, it asked what is the Album Artist, 10 asks for the Artist and I list several, not one.
Asked if I was genuine, 1 WIN98SE was not, but the next WIN98SE was for I insisted on it, later to WINME (legit), and a legit of WINXP Home Edition 2002.Felt Service Pack 2 should have been the last to install; then IE7, I uncheck that update box. There are many mre improvements that you can do. Internet Options, set history to zero, setting above that to 10MB. IE7 does it in one slection but there are many places items are wasting space. Cookies,someting listed as Local Settings, has History, Temporay Internet Files and Temp-on them I check if they are empty or 0kb. Another place is My Recent Documents. I put in my old 14.32 GB HDD and have 9.23 GB free space (64%)

Collapse -
Above answer
by laporte2 / January 19, 2007 3:33 AM PST

Something screw up here I never wrote this...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?