Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Slow, slower, stop

by WashandBison / February 6, 2010 8:18 AM PST

The lifetime of a PC is a bit like a human - starting at a sprint with few programs on board and sagging in speed with age and the acquisition of much baggage. My laptop (Samsung Sens M55) is getting unbearably slow, poor old thing, and try as I might to spring clean hard drives, registries, spyware, cybermicrobes etc., nothing will roll back the years and put a spring back in the step. I run Kaspersky Internet Security and Spybot and have a reserve arsenel of various registry, HD and other utilities picked from the cnet selection, but nothing makes a difference.

The problem: I boot the computer and I go and have a cup of tea while the hard disk churns endlessly. Ay first, everything is just...well, slow. Within 10-30 minutes of use with several programs open, it is slower. Sometimes I might get through a whole session without a program going into gridlock, but inevitably and eventually, the "not responding" situation arises and a CTL-ALT-DEL gives no response - in other words the system crashes, retrievable only with a powerdown, re-boot and another cup of tea.

I would really like to know what is going on when the HD is churning away for no apparent reason, because I haven't asked the PC to do anything. Is there any diagnostic software out there that can tell me (in simple English)"look, the CPU has decided to work out every prime number in the universe, I know you didn't ask for it, but hey, it was bored and you were drinking tea, so what the heck..."? In other words I would like a nice graph or similar which tells me what is going on so that I can identify any culprit gremlins and dispatch them. Are there any suggestions for a really great piece of diagnostic software intended for normal humans?

In the past I have heaved a sigh, reformatted and started again, but the thought fills me with dread because of all the password protected programs that I would have to re-install, it would take me a week and a truck-load of tea. Any help would be much appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow, slower, stop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow, slower, stop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Today. Spybot is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2010 8:29 AM PST
In reply to: Slow, slower, stop

Finding conflicts with other packages and can slow a machine down. Try uninstalling Teatimer and Spybot now.
Bob

Collapse -
Yep.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 6, 2010 9:17 PM PST
In reply to: Slow, slower, stop

Tea Timer, more than one anti-virus running at the same time, more than one anti-spyware at the same time, those will all slow a system down.

So that's your first job, tell us what is running.

Mark

Collapse -
What's running
by WashandBison / February 6, 2010 10:47 PM PST
In reply to: Yep.

Thanks for your responses. I actually installed Spybot (and Teatimer) after I had the go-slow situation in case Kaspersky just wasn't picking up some adware or spyware causing a problem. So I'm not convinced it's these programs. I have disabled Teatimer at startup but I'm still in the slow lane. Thinking back, I started to notice this problem when I installed Office 2007, but it has got worse since then and I have installed several other programs so I can't be sure it's Office. This is what is currently running at startup:

IMJPMIG
TINTSETP
VersionCueCS2Tray
NvCpl
apdproxy
SSBkgdupdate
OpwareSE4
Reader_sl
CS4serviceManager
Acrobat_sl
Acrotray
VERSIO~2
DLPSP
DLUPDR
hpqSRMon
avp
GrooveMonitor
AdobeARM
qttask
iTunesHelper
ACDaemon
MSTMON02
ctfmon
SecCopy
YahooMessenger
Device Detector 3
HP Digital Imaging Monitor
WordWeb

Collapse -
2 ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2010 11:32 PM PST
In reply to: What's running
Collapse -
Well, I agree with Bob wholeheartedly.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 7, 2010 4:32 AM PST
In reply to: What's running

That GrooveMonitor looks like a right nuisance.

If you read all the way through that first link Bob gave, the solution is near the bottom of the page. "How to remove GrooveMonitor"

As to the others in your post, I won't go through them all, but I will mention these;

Reader_sl, Acrobat_sl and Acrotray - The first two are 'speed launchers' for Adobe's Acrobat Reader, and Adobe Acrobat. You don't need those launching at startup so remove them. The third, Acrotray, is "the Adobe Acrobat Distiller helper application". Another Adobe product that you don't need at startup.

I also see AdobeArm there. I'm not so sure about removing that from startup, but perhaps Google will help.

apdproxy - Another Adobe component, for Photoshop. If you don't need Photoshop as soon as you boot up, remove it.

qttask - A Quicktime launcher. If you use Quicktime you generally don't need it immediately at startup so that can be removed.

YahooMessenger - Do you need that immediately at startup? If not, remove.

Check all the rest using your preferred search engine. For quicker starts and less pressure on resources like RAM, remove everything that is not essential to you at startup and which you can just as easily open in other ways.

Check any "Updaters". Unless they are essential, eg Window updates, Security updates like anti-virus, do you need them all running at startup and connecting to the internet?

Hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Groove Monitor
by WashandBison / February 7, 2010 6:08 AM PST

Thanks again Mark and Bob. Groove Monitor has been vanquished along with some of your suggested targets - thanks for the link. I shall see how I get on and then have another spring clean if I still have problems (the slow start still persists).

Why does Microsoft Office install Groove Monitor by default if it has the potential to slow down your PC? I can never understand the MS programmers' thought process, although with Windows 7, they eventually seem to have grasped the idea that most people want a fast operating system.

One final question about the annoying "Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications". The Installation Wizard window pops up every time I start the computer. I just cancel because previous experience with this kind of thing (e.g. when installing SP3 for XP) leads me down a one-way path to fights with Microsoft and lots of inconvenience. How do I stop this Window appearing every time I boot the PC?

Many thanks again.

Collapse -
Some information about Groove Monitor
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 7, 2010 6:39 PM PST
In reply to: Groove Monitor

I found this;
http://www.killertechtips.com/2009/05/10/groovemonitor-exe/

It seems it would be useful if you are part of a team, (development?), using Office 2007 Enterprise edition and sharing files. Groove Monitor helps sync those files. Unless you are involved in such development work for your organisation it is unlikely you would need this.

Tell us more about this Windows Genuine Advantage installation wizard message you get at startup. What exactly does it say. WGA is an important part of Windows as it is often downloaded and installed by Microsoft as part of the routine Windows Update process to confirm your installation is genuine.

Mark

Collapse -
WGA Wizard Fix
by WashandBison / February 8, 2010 3:43 AM PST

Groove Monitor: It's not something that I would want to use, and even if I did in the future, I would just install it again.

I found the answer to my own question about WGA Notification Wizard - the actual window and an explanation of how to get rid of it is shown at http://www.iluvblog.com/etutorial/?tag=windows-genuine-advantage-notifications-installation-wizard

All my Windows installations are genuine in that I obtained legal software either pre-installed on PCs from reputable companies or in hologram marked boxes/CDs from reputable retailers. However, the SP3 installer on the MS website decided that my laptop installation was not genuine, which meant I couldn't update anything and my protracted correspondence with Microsoft got me nowhere, mainly because they were not interested in responding. Hence I am wary of these "genuine" validation programs as I am not keen on either having to buy the same software twice or, alternatively, having my computer handicapped.

Thanks for all your help.

Collapse -
What I'm running into is malware damage.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2010 3:45 AM PST
In reply to: WGA Wizard Fix

The malware corrupts the license and MSFT's answer is what you suspect. Reinstall the OS to correct the damage.

There is a reason why they don't attempt to repair this one. Hope it is obvious.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?