Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Slow Sending Emails using Broardband / Outlook Express 6.0

by darbhc / August 29, 2007 7:42 PM PDT

Using Widows XP SP2 with all updates all installed as of up to yesterday and yes, I am connected with DSL Optus Broadband

Using Outlook Express 6.0 with during in the last week I am experiencing problems during uploading messages. The program is being very slow accessing the Optus. [Takes about 30 to 60 secs before we connect]
Once connected the messages just zip through
Before this problem the emails and with attactchments just zipped through!
No problems with the receiving Emails and also Emails with attachments. Yes, they just zip in all OK

This is what I tried;-
I have downloaded a new AVG Free and a new Comodo Firewall [correctly set up to "Skip Sequrity Checks] . Both these I uninstalled, cleaned out their files and freshly installed both these newly downloaded programs. Yes I even disable both and found this was no help
I also used Spybot and Ad-Ware
Also Cleaned out all temp files
Also used the "sfc /scannow"
Switched off the DSL Modem power and switched it on 5 mins later
Compacted the OE Emails

Now my questions are;
1]
Do I have corruption in the Outlook Express programming?
2]
Is it Optus having problems?
3]
MS Update problem? Is there one of the later Microsoft updates causing this problem. [From my thoughts it appears the sending emails are being thoroughly scanned for "Spam" and then the are authorised to be sent
4]
Do I uninstall and reinstall Outlook express. Yes I noticed within the = Control Panel = Add Remove = Add and Remove Windows Components = there is Outlook Express? Would this be a correct way for me to uninstall and reinstall the Outlook Express [XP with the SP2] ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow Sending Emails using Broardband / Outlook Express 6.0
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow Sending Emails using Broardband / Outlook Express 6.0
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Test it
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 29, 2007 8:36 PM PDT

After a long search from the Optus Home Page I failed to find a "Server Status" page so I can't say if this is an Optus problem or not. It doesn't sound like it though.

Some thoughts on your questions;

1] Do I have corruption in the Outlook Express programming?

I would doubt it. If OE is failing then it would normally fail catastrophically, eg either not send at all or not receive at all.

2] Is it Optus having problems?

Difficult to say as they don't easily show the state of their email servers on their web site. Most ISP's would do, (my NTL, now Virgin ISP does, for instance). But somehow I don't think so. When the attachment starts to be sent, you say it just "zips" through, so I suspect there is something at your end.

I would test this. Send yourself an attachment. What you are testing is an addition at the bottom of your email, (when you receive it), stating that the message, (and attachment?) has been virus checked. If you see that, then you know the email and attachment is being virus checked before it is being sent and that could indicate the time delay. If there is no message, then we look elsewhere.

What type of attachments are these? How large? Did you know that upload speed is many times slower than download speed?

3] MS Update problem?

Again I would not have thought so. Although it worries me when new M$ Updates are offered because of past experiences and news from other victims, OE is so closely integrated into Windows that Microsoft are able to test updates much more thoroughly against it. Also I feel any problems would have been noticed immediately you next attempted to send an attachment. The last updates were the 2nd Tuesday of August, (14th August), which was more than a week ago.

4] Uninstall and Reinstall OE?

Not at this stage. You lose everything by uninstalling it, eg account setup, email folders like the Inbox, Sent items, and any personal folders you have set up, and although you can export these, it is always risky. The correct way is the way you have found, through Add/Remove Windows Components. This doesn't delete OE, it just hides it from use, but you would still lose any saved emails.

You could try another email program and run it in conjunction with OE. Many people here use Mozilla's Thunderbird, (part of the Firefox browser group), and if you did install that and tested attachments, then that might tell you whether there is a problem with OE.

Tell me more about this DSL connection. You said, "Once connected the messages just zip through". I don't use DSL so I don't know it, but do you have to connect to the ISP before sending emails? What happens if you have a current browser session open, eg an internet web site is currently displayed, then you try to send an attachment? Does anything have to 'connect' then before the email goes through?

Mark

Collapse -
Solved
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 31, 2007 7:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Test it
Collapse -
The Fix for Slow Broadband Access to send Emails
by darbhc / September 4, 2007 12:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Solved

After trying all most basic repairs and fixes for my Microsoft Outlook Express problems as listed by Microsoft and others I in the end just in sat down at my computer with my thoughts which travelled to a security problem

I could not locate any items to modify in the Free Comodo Fire Wall and the Free Avg Antivirus programming ?

However in the end I found this simple modification to do in Outlook Express.
Within = "Options" = Security - folder " = Download Content = I unchecked the = "Block Images and other external Content in HTML emails"

Now the sending of my emails [have sent one of a huge size of 1000kbs] go immediately and without any delays!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!