Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Slow scrolling - screen ''repaints''

by RayJay95 / August 23, 2006 7:19 AM PDT

Hello, new here.

I recently had to reinstall Windows XP w/SP2 on my Compaq notebook and am experiencing slow scrolling, actually a ''repainting'' effect when scrolling in all applications including IE, Word, Outlook, Power Point, Notepad, etc.

This occurs when using a trackball or the touch pad.

Compaq support's canned tips did not help.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow scrolling - screen ''repaints''
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow scrolling - screen ''repaints''
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell us about drivers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2006 7:23 AM PDT

Microsoft doesn't install them so tell what drivers you used after you installed from your Microsoft XP CD.

Bob

Collapse -
RE: Tell us about drivers.
by RayJay95 / August 23, 2006 7:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Tell us about drivers.

Thanks for the response.

I did intstall a Microsoft Intellipoint updated driver (since removed) as well as a Synaptics Pointing Device driver AFTER the problem started.

Collapse -
Wrong drivers
by john_mcdoogle / August 23, 2006 7:45 AM PDT

This sounds like a classic case of not having the proper video drivers installed, so Windows is falling back on a purely software driver. It's very universal, in that it will work with almost every video card there is, was, or will be, but it's also very very slow.

You'll have to figure out what kind of video card/chipset is in your system. It's probably from ATI, nVidia, or Intel, but that's about all the more I can narrow it down.

Collapse -
RE: wrong drivers
by RayJay95 / August 23, 2006 8:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Wrong drivers

OK, I downloaded and installed an ATI video driver from the Compaq site and that did the trick.

Thanks much.

Collapse -
ditto
by scotticidal / September 5, 2007 2:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Wrong drivers

o thank you! i was having the same problems myself, and i couldnt figure it out for the life of me. keep on rockin!

Collapse -
slow scrolling made quick
by vikaask / September 6, 2006 6:29 PM PDT

1) open the ie properties, go to "advanced". look for "Smooth Scrolling". Uncheck the box and click on apply.
2) it could be that your display drivers are not configured properly. check that you have the latest driver and increase the refresh rate to the maximum setting allowed with the "Hide modes this ..... cannot display" checked.
99% it is a display driver problem. for the latest driver, go to the compaq site and download the latest driver.

Collapse -
You need drivers
by nickvanbeek / September 6, 2007 8:24 AM PDT

Find your computer manufacturer and look in support to find driver downloads

Collapse -
help
by seabird55 / March 19, 2008 1:25 PM PDT
In reply to: You need drivers

i just reinstalled xp and came across this problem. went to the compaq website and downloaded the graphics drivers but came up with the following error "set up failed to run installation 0x80040707" if it matters i have an evo n800c.

please help as this slow scrolling is driving me crazy. thanks

Collapse -
this is the fix that i used
by seabird55 / March 22, 2008 6:18 AM PDT
In reply to: help
Collapse -
Its a video driver's issue
by Flint_Madziya / June 18, 2008 7:12 PM PDT
In reply to: You need drivers

Without a doubt you need to install a video driver.I resolved this slow scrolling motion the first time I downloaded a correct software driver. If at at all you are not sure you need to download a utility softwatre called Driver scan from http://driversguide.com or do a google search for Dr Hardware Locate your exact driver download it and load it. It will resolve this issue.

Good Luck!
Flint Madziya

Collapse -
Same situation...
by Ambassadom / May 18, 2009 10:19 PM PDT

I too have the same problem. After reinstalling XP my computer is suffering really badly from slow scrolling.

I've followed your advice, above, on running the program 'Dr Hardware' but my Chipset just says '?'.

How do I find out what drivers I have to d/l and install?!

Thanks in advance,

Dom

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?