Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Slow Response Time

by dellis / July 19, 2004 8:55 AM PDT

Over the weekend my nephew downloaded some games on my PC. Since then my PC has locked up several times. Browsing the web, has become painfully slow...and I have a cable modem. I have tried to uninstall and delete anything that could have possibly done, (I think). I have run Scan Disk and when I try to defragment, it gets to about 10% and then starts over, it seems to be on a continous loop. I have Windows ME. Any help is appreciated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow Response Time
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow Response Time
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Slow Response Time
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2004 9:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Slow Response Time
Collapse -
Re: Slow Response Time
by dellis / July 19, 2004 9:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Slow Response Time

Pardon my ignorance...but Anti-Parasite Tools? Can you help me understand what that means? I reviewed the website above. Is there anything that I can do, on my own to try and resolve this problem, before I buy any additional software?

Collapse -
Anti-Parasite Suite
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2004 9:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Slow Response Time

For me, I just use the usual toolset of Adaware, Spybot, Cwshredder and Housecall and then see if that knocked it off the machine.

The link/article I noted reiterates this tools that eject these Pests. If the DOXDESK web site comes back online, be sure to read about these new pests.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Slow Response Time, back at you:
by I.M.IRONMAN / July 23, 2004 6:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Slow Response Time

Hi there, I have read about your problem, I am sure
that there are probably still alot of other folks still
using Windows Me. I too, was a loyal Me. user until I started having similar problems. At one time I too was
a dedicated Win.Me user, but as time went by I started
to notice that things weren't moving as fast as I thought they should, then some of the games that I liked to play started sending me messages stating that
to play, I would need to upgrade my graphics card, and
amoungst other things as well. I also learned that
Win.Me would no longer be supported by my tech.support people. The list goes on and on!
A friend of mine had, for sometime, been telling me, one way or another, get, and install Win.2000Pro.
I really hated to abandon Win.Me. And yes, even with
all the problems that came with Win.Me, I was still
able to work around them. I didn't really want to give
up with Win.Me, but as time rolled along, I started
thinking that sooner or later, I would have to face
the facts that Win.Me was becoming a stumbling block.
So, to get to the point, I realized that yes, it was
about time to do something, but what?
Should I go on with Win.Me, or should I try something
else? Man, I will sure tell you that I am glad that
I did make a move to a different O.S.! So, I found myself asking, if I do go to another O.S., which one
do I go with? Well, thank God that I did, I decided
that since a friend of mine, that I usually speak with
on matters like this, and also since he is one of these gurus, after thinking this problem over, we decided that the best thing that I should do is to wipe my hard drive clean, and then we decided to go with Win.2000Pro, and a new graphics card, ATI Radeon
9700SE. And that was like, 2-3 months ago, and as of yet, I haven't had any real, major problems that
I could not correct myself!!! I even have one of those
older type monitors too! And it has great visuals. Since I made the switch, I often ask myself, why I didn't do this a long time ago, only God knows!!!
I don't really know what you have in the box, but I
can tell you with confidence, that once you make
the switch, you too will be asking yourself, why I didn't make the change long ago???
Do yourself a big favor, and change your O.S.
I can't tell what to go to, beause, I don't know
alot about what options that you have, but I would
seriously consider Win.2000Pro, and probably upgrade
your Graphics card as well!
What ever you do, it would pay big time, to take a
long look at your machine, and a long look at what
your options are. And finally remember, the more that
your computer just sits there, doing nothing, the more absolete it is becoming, and as a constant reminder of what you are missing out on? If you have a few bucks in your pocket, I would decide as soon as possible, on what to do?
These computer parts don't come cheap either, believe
me, I know!
In closing, I hope that the info. that I sent you
will help in some way. Feel free to email me if
you have any questions. Oh ya, I almost for forgot
to say, that these changes that I made did speed up my computer by about 50%. And thats not bad!!! It's like
having a new computer!!!
If you have any questions, you can send an e-mail at:
res0q7mh@verizon.net
My name is Steven. I hope that you can use the information that I sent you, good luck!

Collapse -
back at you...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2004 11:38 PM PDT

I posted a few months ago that I no longer can check on a Windows ME machine to double check my answers.

The machine burped for the last time and I installed....

Windows 2000 Professional.

It's very stable now.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.