Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

slow response from start menu/program

by greenpu / September 16, 2006 9:54 PM PDT

I have Classic Start Menu turned on. When I click on Start, Programs, an empty box appears and it takes about 30 secs to have the program listings to populate the menu. very annoying. It works ok when logged into these PC's with a local account but when logged in as a network account it happens. I'm wondering if some Group Policy is being pushed out to cause this.
changing the below setting does not affect it
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Desktop/MenuShowDelay

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: slow response from start menu/program
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: slow response from start menu/program
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you have problems
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 16, 2006 10:03 PM PDT

with opening Windows Explorer, or My Computer, or in any Microsoft Office documents when you goto File > Open?

It's just a thought, but those problems can occur when you have a mapped drive where the drive is on a network but the network is failing to respond, or turned off.

However, that would have to mean that the Start Menu has some sort of shortcut link to the mapped drive on the network, and even then, it would only cause problems when you are ''not'' logged on to a network.

But re-reading your post, you say it only happens on an account that you use for your network. So is the network running when this happens, and does the Start Menu for that account have any sort of link to the network?

What is the makeup of your network?

Mark

Collapse -
network
by greenpu / September 17, 2006 12:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Do you have problems

i am responsible for creating images of workstations that are installed on over 300 pc's. We are currently using win2k pro and changing over to xp pro.
i made the images for the win2k image and installed it on over 300 pc's and never had this problem. The image that i am creating from scratch is basically the same software on it as the win2k WS's but xp pro was installed. I'm in the testing stage right now and so far have 4 xp WS's online and they work great when you logon as a local account but if you logon with a network logon it takes forever to get the program listings to populate. We are still pushing out GP's for win2k workstations and I have talked to our people that deal with the GP's and they tell me win2k and XP policies are compatible. I don't believe them lol....
workstations that had their win2k upgraded to XP pro seem to work fine but my images that I created from scratch have the program listings problem. Profiles we use are roaming profiles and GP's are set up to deleted cached copies of profiles on workstations. My network logon does have drives mapped to it but I don't think that has anything to do with the program listings problem. none of the software i installed need a network connection to run.

Collapse -
by jon1111 / September 27, 2006 8:55 AM PDT

cant shed any light on this but i have exactly the same problem. Started three weeks ago and I have tried everything that I and many others can think of to no avail. Hope someone can help cos I am about to trash the OS installation and start again.

Collapse -
by jon1111 / September 27, 2006 9:00 AM PDT

Should add to my previous post that it started after a mainboard failure that was replaced with exactly the same mainboard but with an updated BIOS. (Asus P5GD2 Deluxe)

Collapse -
Slow response from start menu/program
by vankaa / January 24, 2008 8:24 AM PST

We exactly have a similar problem. slow when connected to network, but fast when off nework.

I have deleted couple of shortcuts which were pointing to an old server which doesn't exist and the problem was resolved.

Thanks for your help.
Arun

Collapse -
If you are on a network with a domain, try this.
by waynole1 / March 5, 2009 11:09 PM PST

Look at your DNS setting and make sure the DNS is set to the domain controller and not your router. The domain controller is your DNS server (should be) and it takes some time to resolve back if the DNS settings are not right. I learned this the hard way!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!