Specs:
Old Mobo: PC CHIPS m811 v3.1
New Mobo: PC CHIPS M863G
Old GPU: nVidia GeForce 5500 FX
New GPU: Radeon 9550
Proc: AMD Athlon XP 2400+
RAM: Kingston DDR400 512MB
Plus a Lite-On CD/DVD drive and another ATAPI DVD drive

So, as soon as I reinstalled Windows (didn't format, just did a fresh install), updated my drivers and ran Windows Update a hundred times, my system is running noticably slower than it was before. The first thing I noticed was that my BIOS was reporting that I was using an Athlon 1800, or something, which was fixed when I adjusted the CPU Frequency to 133 in the BIOS. This was after I tried adjusting it to 166, where my system wouldn't start up and required me to clear the CMOS.

The DRAM Clock is set to automatically by the BIOS, which is 200MHz. The DRAM CAS# Latency is set to automatic, because I don't have any idea what it does.

The slowdown is especially noticable when I'm running games, where the FPS were 40 to 50, are now like 10 and 15. I've also been getting <i>blasted</i> by random, like, sound bursts of static. It's very painful.

So am I forgetting something? Should I try formatting? Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow Performance with New Mobo + GPU
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow Performance with New Mobo + GPU
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
D'oh
by Bitter Patrick / November 5, 2005 1:17 AM PST

Oh, this is definitely important. My CPU is reporting to be running at 2GHz, but I'm certain that before it was running at ~2.4.

Also, the key difference between the 2 motherboards is that the new one runs at FSB 333, the other one was FSB 266.

Collapse -
First...
by jackintucson / November 5, 2005 2:16 AM PST
In reply to: D'oh

Which version of the M863G did you get? The 5v or 3v. And did you make sure all the new parts are speced right. I noticed you did not use the recommended memory. Although it might work you still can't guarantee it's even running at 333. Messing with bus speeds is OK as long as you KNOW what you are doing. Personally, I wouldn't even use your setup for gaming. I'd be using a 800fsb with the CPU to match and the dual-channel memory. But, I can understand if you are constrained by the pocket book. So, as long as you are not using what was recommended I can't help you. Check those things out. Maybe you'll find you mismatched some things. Good Luck.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
New Memory Then?
by Bitter Patrick / November 5, 2005 2:37 AM PST
In reply to: First...

I didn't see any indication of recommended memory anywhere, and, again, though my previous motherboard wasn't as good, it ran on the same RAM without a hitch. But what would you suggest I do? Find RAM running at 333?

I'm having a very hard time understanding why my previous set up worked better than this one.

The performance is just as bad when I'm not running any big apps. Cursor lag, window lag, it's very disturbing, and it is absolutely boggling my mind.

Collapse -
D'oh II
by Bitter Patrick / November 5, 2005 2:40 AM PST
In reply to: New Memory Then?

V5, by the way.

Collapse -
OK..
by jackintucson / November 6, 2005 2:29 AM PST
In reply to: D'oh II

The DDR400 memory will work but only at 333mhz because the fsb is only 333. Let's look at your performance (lack of) issues. What do you use for anti-virus/spyware/adware/malware and registry cleaner software? If you haven't done any of that you need to. Sounds like you may have picked up a virus/trojan/spyware somewhere. There are plenty of good free ones around. Let us know.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
very odd...
by lilShortZaznXboi / November 7, 2005 1:04 PM PST

You must have messed up.
Did you set AGP settings correctly?
Are you using ATI drivers instead of nVIDIA?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.