General discussion

Slow performance when connecting tv to laptop

I have my HP Pavilion laptop connected to my HDTV via an S-cable. The display looks good, but it's just really, really slow. The performance seems to be dramatically slowed down. Would a different type of cable change this, or is this just a normal effect from using an external monitor?

Thank you.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Slow performance when connecting tv to laptop
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Slow performance when connecting tv to laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Not Much Information There...

Unfortunately, you've not told us anything about the computer.. Operating system, processor speed, amount of RAM installed, and most importantly, what type of graphics card you have installed. Plus since you didn't tell us, I'll only guess "really slow" refers to playing of games through the laptop to the TV..???

Either way, since a good graphics card is key to good performance on any monitor, especially if you have your TV set to a high resolution, laptops aren't the best tools for such purposes.. Generally, laptops have underpowered, integrated graphics cards.. Is that your situation? If so, then it won't matter which type of cable you use.. The video card will stay the same. Tried adding more overall RAM?

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Sorry about that, here is more info...

Sorry about that, here is the information you asked about.

Operating system: Windows XP
RAM: 1 GB
Processor speed: 1.73GHz
Graphics card: Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver 915GM/GMS,910 GML Express Chipset Family (not sure if that is what you are looking for...)

In terms of slow performance, there isn't one specific activity that is slow- it is just slow overall. This happens regardless of what is being done, whether it is opening an email message, clicking a link, etc... We are not using it for playing computer games. But like I said, the slow performance of the laptop only occurs when attached to the HDTV, not under normal circumstances.

We have an employee with vision problems and cannot find a monitor large enough to accommodate them, so we were hoping we could utilize an HDTV as an external monitor (it's 46"). But maybe that is not even possible with our current (or with any) equipment. Thank you in advance for your help.

- Collapse -
Ahh the Intel 900 series solutions.

While these work, the performance is less than stunning. The reason for the slowdown is in that chipset. A dedicated GPU (see google) could have helped but let me share that my slightly newer Lenovo y530 running Windows 7, 4GB ram and such has a more advanced Intel 4500MHD connected to an over 42 inch HDTV at 1080p.

While it can't play video games, office work is fine as well as playing HD content.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info