Mac OS forum

Question

Slow Mac

Good morning,

Once again I come to you for help:)

I updated to os x 10.6.8 which I have been using for months now. It has been working well until recently. For some reason it has slowed considerably and is not always responding to commands.

I have been processing a lot of pictures downloading them from yahoo and uploading into a different forum (yahoo seems to have made the same mistake as Obama; released a program before it was ready).

Anyway, can you pls tell me how I can clean up my mac. I know it is supposed to be doing it by itself but I am wondering if it is.

thanks again,

Rita

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow Mac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow Mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
How much space do you have left on your Hard Drive?

In reply to: Slow Mac

To find out, single click on the Hard Drive icon and press Command + G
alternatively
RIGHT click on the Hard Drive icon and select Get Info.

That should tell you how much free space you have left on the drive

P

Collapse -
73.77 G

In reply to: How much space do you have left on your Hard Drive?

Hey mrmacfixit,

Thank you for your fast response. I also thought of that but I have gosh-awful plenty Happy

Collapse -
Remind us of the sort of Mac you have

In reply to: 73.77 G

Do you have an OS X installation disk?

Have you run Disk Utility?

P

Collapse -
yes

In reply to: Remind us of the sort of Mac you have

I do have the installation disk and didn't even know about the disk utility on it! I will try that and let you know what happens. Thanks for this much help:)

Rita

Collapse -
Ran disc utility

In reply to: yes

Hey Mrmacfixit,

I ran the utility disc and it came up w/no problems. Do you have any other ideas? If there was a problem and the puter needed to be defragged or cleaned up otherwise, would that show up after running the check?

thanks,

Rita

Collapse -
OS X does not usually require a Defrag,

In reply to: Ran disc utility

but you could download a copy of Yasu from http://yasuapp.com and run a few of the routines in there. Read the instructions. This app, which used to cost money, is now free. Make sure you register it using the serial number shown on the site

Given that this is a laptop, you may want to consider using a can of air to blow out the ventilation slots to remove any dust bunnies and hamsters from inside there.

Think back and see if there is anything that you downloaded and installed that coincides with the slowing down of the machine.
If there is, remove it and see if that makes any difference

P

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.