Computer Help forum

General discussion

slow log in

by amezdoggs / November 23, 2005 2:23 AM PST

Hi,
this has to be like the tenth time i've asked help from you guys and i've had awsome responses/results, so thank you. I have two users on my xp home and i have the computer set on automatic sleeper mode or whatever you call it (logs off then turns screen off), but lately when i get it out of that mode or even sometimes just trying to log on in general the comp takes its precious time. it doesnt sound like its working at all, but it takes five minutes for just the arrow to turn into a hand/finger over the user icon. so i usually have to hold the power down and restart manually. if its needed: i have a dell inspiron 8200 laptop with a new harddrive.

AMEZ

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: slow log in
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: slow log in
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You probably
by jackintucson / November 23, 2005 2:33 AM PST
In reply to: slow log in

have some nasties on board. Run your anti-spyware, virus, malware and registry cleaner apps. Also, if someone else uses the system, are they practicing safe surfing?

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
no
by amezdoggs / November 28, 2005 5:58 AM PST
In reply to: You probably

actually this is a clean computer...i got norton antivirus, the symantec running, spybot, ad-aware, scandisk and defrag runs everyweek.....

Collapse -
Amez, A Suggestion Or Two
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 23, 2005 3:08 AM PST
In reply to: slow log in

First, because ''Sleep Mode/Hibernate/Standby'' can be very problematic on a lot of machines, I don't use at all on any of the machines I take care of..The computers are either ON, or OFF, and nothing in between and they're sut off each evening.

That said, recovering from ''sleep'' is frequently the cause of too many background programs. junk files and and malware on the machine..Please try the procedures in the links below:

First, download, install, update, then run the free Ewido Security Suite tool below. It will clean out a lot of unwanted trojans and spyware the other tools don't find:

Ewido Security Suite

Next, follow the steps below to eliminate unnecessary start up programs and clean out the unneeded files. The procedures may take a while but it should help things run smoother:

For Windows 2000/XP, ignore the first couple of sentences about checking ''resources'' in the link below but follow the rest of the procedures including the ''Services'' links at the bottom.

How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs

Because the links for the ''Services'' are no longer functioning in the link above, use this one:

Services Guide For Windows XP

Now clean out the junk files using the link below...

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

If you've got Service Pack 2 installed on your XP machine, then follow these steps to tidy things up a little:

Cleanup After SP2 Installation
http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.php#after

After following all the procedures above, run Error Checking/Chkdsk and Defrag to optimize the hard drive:

How To Run 'Error Checking/Chkdsk' On Win2000/XP

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
thanks grif
by amezdoggs / November 28, 2005 6:10 AM PST

this is the second time you've hilped me out, thanks
amez

Collapse -
jee whiz Grif....
by jackintucson / November 29, 2005 2:46 AM PST
In reply to: thanks grif

I wish I was as neat as you. Wink Some day...you wait and see....I'll get there!! Wink

and life...aww forget it!!

Jack

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Amez, Glad WE Could Help !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 29, 2005 2:49 AM PST
In reply to: thanks grif
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?