Slow Loading

by kegsy1 / December 10, 2007 12:30 PM PST

Okay my computer i bought as a nice new dell e520 specs:

Core 2DUO
Windows Xp Media Center
20 Inch Monitor
Upgraded Graphics card - EVGA NVIDIA 8800GTS OC
Some Crappy Motherboard from dell

Now i have no trouble loading a program eg Photoshop, or playing a game at highest graphics but when i fire up my pc and it loads up the nice pretty blue WELCOME screen it take like 5 minutes to load that, then once im in it take some further time loading.. Total of near 10 minutes waiting.. this is extremely absurd.

I have tried numerous scans and things..

TuneXP
Spybot
Ad-aware
I have CA Anti-virs -
Firewall -
Anti Spyware -
Anti Spam
Disk Defrags -
CCleaner and a couple of other things nothing has really improved my speed on loading

I am just curious how is it/ or if it is possible to get my pc to load up a bit faster..

Thank you for you time.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow Loading
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow Loading
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some thoughts
by eddie11013 / December 10, 2007 11:34 PM PST
In reply to: Slow Loading

The first thing I look at is what is loading up that might slow me down. Since you have run all these scans, maybe its what you have installed. First go to Start/Contol Panel/Add & Remove Programs, and review what you have installed. Maybe you can uninstall some programs you no longer use or need. Second, hit 'windows key + R', when window opens type: "msconfig" without the quotes, hit OK, click on 'Startup tab'. Here you will see everything that starts up when you boot the computer, try unchecking some, or just one at a time, and see if that helps. You will have to reboot, and upon reboot you will get a message saying that you made some changes, of course you did, put a check make in the box on the lower left and continue. Keep in mind that you don't want to turn off your anti-virus or firewall programs, everything else is pretty much fair game. And of course you can always go back and put a check make back on anything that you did "uncheck." Third, did you put any 'special' pictures on your desktop, as a screen saver? If you did, this can also slow down the boot process, if the pictures were not loaded correctly. Meaning these pictures need to be in 'JPEG' form.
Its a start.
Good luck,
Eddie

Collapse -
Since it's new. Start over.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2007 12:02 AM PST

Start over and time how long it takes to load up as delivered.

Now add one thing at a time until you break it. Now start over again but don't add that thing.

Bob

Collapse -
I Shut Down Startup Programs & Services..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 11, 2007 12:26 AM PST

Use the instructions in the link below to eliminate some of those unnecessary startup programs and services:

For Windows XP, ignore the first couple of sentences about checking "resources" and the "Performance" tab in the link below but follow the rest of the procedures including the "Services" links at the bottom.

How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Extra information
by Dango517 / December 11, 2007 2:37 AM PST
Collapse -
I'm running Vista.
by Dango517 / December 11, 2007 2:54 AM PST
In reply to: Extra information

I don't remember if these two features were available in XP. 1) Can you delay services in XP? If so, you can delay some start up services, like up dates, till the system boots. This is a very helpful feature in Vista. 2) Does XP have a debugger at the bios screen? In vista if you press F8 at the start up screen/first screen you can access the debug mode feature and run it during the start up. This does improve it's performance slightly. The debugger can be ran with anything you do in Vista with some slight improvements to the over all performance of the OS. Note: while in debug mode the system will run slower then normal and it is best to re-enable normal mode using F8 at start-up once your done debugging.

Collapse -
kegsy1
by glenn30 / December 11, 2007 4:54 AM PST

I had this problem using ZoneAlarm 7.1.078.000 (believe that is the current version for Vista). Anyway I have just removed it for the second time after many tried and my system now seems fully recovered.

It took a while to determine this... after installing again 3 days ago this was quite noticeable so I removed it. Happy Maybe you need to look for some software conflict.

Hope this helps.

Glenn

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?