Computer Help forum

General discussion

Slow laptop connection speed

by realslowguy / February 13, 2010 9:38 PM PST

I have a 5 year old HP Pavillion zd8205 laptop running XP Pro, P4 2.8 Ghz, 2Gig Ram, 400Mhz FSB Sad . I have a wired / wireless home network with DSL. My wired desktop has DL speeds of 1294 Kbs & uploads at 217 Kbs. My son's laptop has similar speeds. But my HP which has similar speeds wirelessly is just like dial-up. It reminds me of my old Packard Bell without the background hiss. I have tried tweaking various settings and even foolishly paid for a software program (Activespeed Speed Booster) The pages take forever to load and when the progress indicator bar fills completely nothing happens for SEVERAL seconds then half the page pops and the next portion begins to load, The whole time the hard drive is humming away. What am I missing? Is it the computer?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow laptop connection speed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow laptop connection speed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When I see this I do the following.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2010 11:17 PM PST

First your link about this model.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Home.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodClassId=-1&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=466660

Ok the issue is WELL DISCUSSED and I no longer write about drivers and more on old laptops. You can reload the OS without me writing why it rarely fixes it. Let me share what our shop does.

1. Disable and even remove the wifi mini pci card.
2. Slip in some under 20 buck wifi pc-card like http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=F5D9010&cat=NET (there are hundreds to choose from)
3. Install the drivers and watch it work better.

There are too many lost days of drivers and even replacing the internal card that I no longer advise or do that. It's not worth the chance it may not pay off.
Bob

Collapse -
Slow HP zd 8205
by realslowguy / February 14, 2010 1:00 AM PST

Bob,
Thanks for your response. I must be real slow cause I'm not sure if you are saying that it is the operating system or a drivers problem. I have updated the drivers recently and I can disable my wifi, but this beast loads slowly when wired to the router. All other computers seem to run fine on the setup. I've scanned for viruses and malware. Is this an issue related to this model? Or should i reload xp? I'm out of low tech options.

Collapse -
That's better.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2010 1:14 AM PST
In reply to: Slow HP zd 8205

If it loads slowly when wired then look at your yearly maintenance. It's noted at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19681_102-0.html?messageID=3196452&tag=forums06;posts#3196452

On top of that, every other year should have the heatsink pulled and changing the heatsink compound. These Pentium 4 based laptops had me doing this for reasons I can't keep repeating everytime these models come up for discussion. Sorry but it has been discussed many times.

There are things you can do for the heat issues, maintenance and a fresh install of the OS plus hard drive testing. The hard drive's FITNESS TEST (google up DRIVE FITNESS TEST) could reveal if it is the drive.

I've only seen hundreds of this model so I no longer try "drivers."
Bob

Collapse -
Slow HP 8205
by realslowguy / February 14, 2010 1:46 AM PST
In reply to: That's better.

Sorry if this was old news to you. If I don"t know what the issue is then it is pretty hard tracking it down in this forum. I do appreciate the reply and I'll try to refrain from revisiting history in the future. Actually if I could afford to take it and have somebody
look it over I would not be on this site in the first place, but I thank you for your time. Have a good one!

Collapse -
This info is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2010 9:45 PM PST
In reply to: Slow HP 8205

From the shop experiences and not in the forum. It's why I tried to get it to you in short form so you can look at the usuals and avoid blind alleys or paying others to "try" fixing the onboard with drivers.

Hope you can use this info and cleaning links to help yourself 'get it done.'
Bob

Collapse -
Get it Done
by realslowguy / February 14, 2010 10:33 PM PST
In reply to: This info is

Many Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.