Networking & Wireless forum

Slow Internet Connection

by asos09 / May 12, 2015 11:39 PM PDT

I have a Linksys E3000 router connected to a Huawei modem. I'm currently paying for 6mbps download and 2mbps upload. There are about 35 wireless devices connected to the network.

The internet speed was very good (even with 35 wireless devices) until i set up two access points, one Engenius (indoor unit) and one NanoStation (outdoor unit). After setting up these APs the speed has been crawling. It's so slow. I don't understand why. Please how do i improve my network speed?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow Internet Connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow Internet Connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Sounds right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2015 11:42 PM PDT

Many devices chat all the time. All it takes is one to be infected and it's game over.

In other words, I see nothing wrong here. It should be slow.

Collapse -
Why should it be slow?
by asos09 / May 13, 2015 12:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds right.

Okay. So you're saying it's slow because of the AP's?

Because it wasn't slow before i set up the Access Points.

Collapse -
That E3000? Is it old?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2015 11:57 PM PDT pegs it to many years old and the user reviews there and elsewhere are unkind.

Just last week I popped for a still pretty cheap router. It's this one:

Because I have a few more devices but no where close to 35, I had hope the dual core processor would offer me a boost for the HDD I have on the USB port.

So far, so good. It is better than my old router I got 2 years ago.

But you have a sub 10 meagerbit connection and 35 devices. That's on average 10 times more devices than what I see in most homes. If these are all WiFi, even more headaches.
Collapse -
Change router or increase bandwidth?
by asos09 / May 13, 2015 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: That E3000? Is it old?

It's actually for an office not a home.

So what do you advice? Do i change the router or pay for higher bandwidth or both?

Any suggestions for a router?

Collapse -
With 35 devices it's always going to be slow.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2015 1:12 AM PDT

If I divide it evenly that's about 171 kilobits per device. Given the WiFi and more overhead it's like fast dialup days.

I can't see why this is hard to accept. Increasing the bandwidth should yield some relief but then there's that old router.

As this is a business, you have to decide if it's worth the costs of hardware and faster access.

-> Remember that this should be OK for email and light web surfing. Anyone that plays a video would hammer the other users and make everyone complain.

Given this is so many users on a small connection, there's nothing wrong here. But you will get clients that can't accept this.

---> ABOUT THOSE AP's. There is something there about WiFi channels. How did you deal with the single 802.11n channel issue?

Since you are the network designer I hope to read more about your design and how you dealt with that. Also, given the old router, the extra work you piled on it didn't help either.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?