Desktops forum

General discussion

slow internet access

I recently purchased an emachine T6212. I installed a 1 gig memory stick. When I connect to the internet with Juno, the best speed I can get is 28.8 bps. With my old box, 300mhz, windows 98, and 64 meg main mem, I could consistently get 46.6 bps. Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: slow internet access
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: slow internet access
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
e machine - T6212

In reply to: slow internet access

Is this a hardware or software problem?

Collapse -
RE

56k is only 28.8.

Collapse -
back to RE

In reply to: RE

In my old machine, I got 46.6 bps with a 56k modem. Sometimes I get 31k bps. I wonder if there is a setting I need to change?

Collapse -
RE:

In reply to: back to RE

Check your modem settings. There is a good chance you have the modem set at to receive data at 28.8bps. you can increase it. I believe there is also an auto setting. Check your setttings in Control Panel.

Collapse -
back to Volt consultant

In reply to: RE:

It was set to 115.2bps, I set to 57.6.

Collapse -
No joy!

In reply to: RE:

Setting the access speed in the modem properties to 57.6 bps didn't work. I still got 28.8.

Help?

Collapse -
Troubleshooting

What type of modem are you using? If you are not sure, go to START, ALL Applications, ACCESSORIES, and then SYSTEM TOOLS. From this menu select SYSTEM INFORMATION. Once this has loaded, from the tree on the left side, select COMPONENTS. You will see MODEMS, click this component. This will give you your modem name and other information related to this piece of hardware.

Also, do you use any type of firewall?

Collapse -
Reply to: Troubleshooting

In reply to: Troubleshooting

If you need more, let me know.

Specifications:

CPU: AMD Athlon? 64 3200+ Processor (512 KB L2 cache, 2.0 GHz, 2000 MHz FSB)

Operating System: Microsoft

Collapse -
Here are some facts. . .

All modems are not created equal. Some are Win-modems (software controlled), some are hardware modems with their own on-board controllers. No two modems will ever connect exactly the same. They each have their own software and noise rejection properties. A hardware modem will usually connect faster than a software modem.

The speed you changed is not involved with your connect speed. It is the buss speed between the modem and the processor and changing it has no effect on connect speed. Put it at 115200 and leave it.

For more information on dial-up, visit my site below,

Wayne

Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to
use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones,
internet connections, spyware removal, and data, and download free software.

Collapse -
Reply to here are some sights.

In reply to: Here are some facts. . .

Thank you for your sight. It is very informative. I did reset back to 115k bps. My old modem was an LT WIN, and I got 46.6k bps, if not faster, most of the time. Maybe its time to download drivers and see if that will help.

Thanks again!

Collapse -
Got it!

In reply to: Here are some facts. . .

Thanks to all who contributed to my dilemma. I dumped down a driver and got 52k bps.

Collapse -
Good for you. . .

In reply to: Got it!

I forgot to mention that new drivers sometimes help.

Collapse -
To tweak the modem try

dowloading cablenut and apply the tweaks

Collapse -
Same problem

Dear slowinternet,

I am currently having the same problem with my internet connection on my T6212. Which version of the modem driver did you use? Thanks

Collapse -
RE: Same problem.

In reply to: Same problem

This is what I did. Hope it helps.

Start
Control Panel
Printers and other Hardware
Phone and Modem Options
Modems Tab
Properties Button
Driver Tab
Update Driver Button
'Hardware Update Wizard' appears
click 'Install the Software Automatically (Recommended)' button
click 'Next' button
Wizard will search the hard drive for the newest driver, and install it
no more choices, except maybe 'Finish' button

this last little sequence may be a bit different

click 'Close' button
click 'Apply' button
click 'Close' button
-----------------------------------------------------
Restart PC and give it a whirl.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.