General discussion

slow freeze login screen

My friend's alienware computer starts up and the login screen appears. Then every click or keypress takes 5 minutes delay to register each action. So it takes 20 minutes to actually startup.

I am working on the solution and I tried a few other fixes mentioned such as disabling a webcam, delay starting the "server" service which didn't work.

I narrowed the problem to be within startup services. When I turn most services off, the computer starts fast. So one or more services are to blame, or something to do with the registry filled with problematic junk that could be cleaned possibly by purchasing registry cleaner.

I will continue researching services and testing which one's are causing the super slow login screen. I'll report my findings on this post.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: slow freeze login screen
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: slow freeze login screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Beware

Beware registry cleaners. They have a tendency to cause more problems than they solve, particular since there really is nothing about the registry that will likely affect boot times. The registry is not what most people think it is. It has been granted these vast and mystical powers by people who try and sound like they know what they're talking about when they're really talking out of their ****, and the people who don't know how to tell the difference.

You can save yourself a lot of time by just ignoring that as a source of the problems. You've already shown that it's some service or another, and there's likely a malware problem to go with it. You should be focusing your efforts on those, since those will actually net you some positive results.

- Collapse -
narrowing the problem

Disabling a bunch of services made the login fast, but the computer was unusable at the desktop screen.

So my next test will be to change the services labeled "automatic" to "automatic (delayed start)", causing them to start 2 minutes after the operating system boots up from what I've read.

- Collapse -
problem narrowed without fix

I was able to make the login fast, at the cost of necessary startup services. So the computer logins fast, but you can't do anything from the desktop, like run programs.

I worked for probably 15 hours on this and could not identify the one or combination of services that causes it. And by disabling it, the computer doesn't work.

I recommended that it be taken in for repair or restored to a previous point. I give up.

- Collapse -
Possible Solutions
- Collapse -
What if...

...you boot up under safe mode ?

CNET Forums