Computer Help forum

General discussion

Slow DSL

My machine is running XP with 480 mg ram and 1.66 ghz. My DSL is running really ssssllllooooww. I had the telephone company come out and check the lines and on their lap tops it runs fine. So that rules out my modem and lines. The only thing I can figure is that since I am using a USB 1.0 that this may be the problem. How hard is it to change the USB to 2.0 and can you direct me to where I can get what I need to do so. I have a little experience with changing components. Cannot use ethernet because my card is bad. Maybe it will be easier to cure this problem?

Machine is HP 541 c if this info is needed.

Thanks again

okhosea

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow DSL
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow DSL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Slow DSL

In reply to: Slow DSL

Even USB 1.0 should be more than enough for all but the fastest of DSL speeds. IIRC, USB 1.0 was around 1Mbps, and the fastest DSL speeds you can typically get is 1.5Mbps. USB 1.1, which is much more common, is 11Mbps.

USB 2.0 requires all new hardware to support it. It's not as simple as a software update. You can buy PCI cards which will add some USB 2.0 ports to your system, or you can buy a new motherboard with USB 2.0 support.

But I suspect your problem has more to do with spyware. Download and run BOTH AdAware and Spybot and delete everything they find. Then see if that doesn't improve your speed a bit.

Otherwise, more details are going to be needed. What speed DSL do you have, and what speeds are you expecting? That's for starters, and depending on your answers, more maay follow.

Collapse -
Re: Slow DSL

In reply to: Slow DSL

OK,

In addition to Yewanchors good suggestion of checking for viruses and spyware, my preference is to run the DSL through an ethernet connection instead of using USB. I've had less problems when doing so. If your NIC is bad, you should be able replace it yourself for under $10 if you watch for sales at the local computer store.

Just a suggestion and it should be cheaper than upgrading to USB 2.0.

HOpe this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.