Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Slow download of homepage

by shafiqkhan31 / May 10, 2010 9:06 PM PDT

Hi there,
I have two computers connected to the a new Huawei Echolife HG520b router,a PC {p4, xp home, 1.5 Gig Ram, at least 26 gig free space on the HD very well maintained 6years old, use AVG free, and other firewalls etc.} connected by Ethernet, and a Macbook connected wireless.
The speed test for both shows the same reading,(The Global Broadband speed test provided by Ookla) 1.19 Mbps download and 0.35 Mb/s upload. Ping 45ms.
My homepage takes 1.75 minutes to load on the PC and only 15 seconds on the Macbook.Different webpage does not make any difference. The emails received take about 5 minutes longer to appear on the PC compared to the Macbook.
My computer provider in a remote session checked everything and did not find any fault, however advised to reload the xpHome in case there is any blockage.
The setup was working fine exactly in the same set up for a few years, only a change of ISP and the router about four weeks ago caused the problem.
My local Area connection status shows a speed of 100.0 Mbps.

Will be grateful for any help.
Shafiq

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow download of homepage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow download of homepage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
a change of ISP and the router about four weeks ago caused t
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2010 12:10 AM PDT

Frankly there is nothing in your post to suggest it's your problem.

Time to ask the ISP to come over and figure it out.
Bob

Collapse -
Network issues.

Thank you Bob. Your comments made all the difference to my approach to the ISP. It gave me enough confidence to say to the ISP that it is not my system that is at fault.
However I am not sure why my MacBook working wirelessly from the same router has no problem and my PC, connected through Ethernet has a problem.
Well armed with your support I argued my case and the ISP has agreed to supply a new router. I hope to receive it in fives days time.Then we will know if the problem is solved.

People like me with quite minimal knowledge of the Internet depend on the generosity of your spirit.
Thank you.
Shafiq

Collapse -
In the meantime, while waiting for the new router ...
by Papa Echo / May 22, 2010 2:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Network issues.

...shut down the MAC, i.e. with only the PC connected... still slow ?
...try the MAC on the Ethernet ....slow as with the PC ?

With the change of ISP, have you changed to the correct DNS numbers ?

Collapse -
Clever stuff.
by shafiqkhan31 / May 22, 2010 8:20 PM PDT

Hi Papa Echo,
I had tried all permutations but not the second one you suggested.i.e. connecting the Macbook with Ethernet. Actually replacing the PC with my Macbook.
It worked like magic. The download was within 15 seconds. I tried different web pages and saw no issues.
It is a good result in a way but opens the problem investigation to a different direction.

What is wrong with my PC?
I had done run of the mill things , I had tried different browsers,I deleted IE8 and tried Chrome, I had Mozilla FireFox, I deleted it. I had AVG Free anti virus I deleted it and loaded another free anti virus.Had deleted all remains of temporary files by selecting the Default settings of the Internet while I was using the IE8.
i. Do I reinstall my xp Home sp3?
ii. How do I further investigate the cause? It was working OK, before the router change. The speed tests on my PC (Ether connected) and my Macbook (wireless) to the same router was the same.

I did not know about the DNS, I have looked it up, but seems beyond me. Anyway I was receiving my emails and opening all web pages although unacceptably very slow.
Be very grateful for suggestion.
Shafiq

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.