Dell forum

General discussion

slow Dimension 8200

by dkpainter / July 3, 2009 2:36 AM PDT

I have a Dimension 8200 w/ Pentiuum 4 Processor at 2.0GHz, 512MB PC800 RDRAM running Windows XP SP3 that I purchased in April 2002. I is not as fast as it used to be (slowly getting slower). Two years ago I had to replace the hard drive, but it was still running slow. I defrag, run ccleaner, ad-aware, windows updates weekly; and have f-secure anti-virus on at all times. In addition I am on satellite internet which is always slow (almost as slow as dial-up, but that's my only other option here). Even working off line my system runs slow to the point where if I am working in windows it will lock up where one window will partially disappear into the other then finally move again. When on-line Outlook Express, when switching identities, will completely disappear, then pop back up as a different identity. I took it to my local computer tech fearing a virus, but was told no virus. The tech said more RAM may fix it, & that it's having trouble multitasking, then said it may be too old to put more money into. Other than the problem of being slow, this has been a good computer! Any suggestions of what I should do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: slow Dimension 8200
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: slow Dimension 8200
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What to expect...
by Willy / July 3, 2009 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: slow Dimension 8200

The tech was correct add more ram. To run XP decently, have at least 1gb installed. Depend on how you have your current ram installed, if 2x256mb modules or 4x128mb RDRAM for that 512mb total. The 8200, if I'm correct handles the most 1gb of ram, but the Dell support specs(or manual) will explain this. Now RDRAM is costly so do you really want to go this route? If yes, then find RDRAM via eBay or other online vendor and understand the retrun process if any. You will need to remove the "continuity modules(blank)) for full access to all ram slots, if not already, then remove lower ram modules to install higher ram modules if required. Also, this is done in "pairs".

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Adding Memory
by dkpainter / July 3, 2009 8:55 AM PDT
In reply to: What to expect...

Spec's show maximum memory is 2GB. I did a quick search and you are right RDRAM is quite pricey. Is it worth upgrading a 7 year old Dimension 8200? In the memory section it says the only two valid memory configurations are:
1. A pair of matched memory modules installed in connectors RIMM1 and RIMM2 with continuity modules installed in connectors RIMM3 and RIMM4 -or-
2. A pair of matched memory modules installed in connectors RIMM1 and RIMM2 and another matched pair installed in connectors RIMM3 and RIMM4.

I need to be sure I understand this right.
Does 1. mean I can leave the original modules in RIMM1 and RIMM2, and add the exact same module to RIMM3 and RIMM4?
Does 2. mean I can change just RIMM1 and RIMM2 to 1 GB memory each, and leave RIMM3 and RIMM4 as they are?

What manufacturer's are recommended? I didn't recognize many of them (only NEC on the one site I was on).

Thank you for your help!
DK

Collapse -
Look at...
by Willy / July 3, 2009 1:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Adding Memory

The keyword is "pair" thus a pair of ram modules need to be installed. The slots you have populated are rimm1&rimm2 which are??? 2x256mb =512mb of ram. You remove the "continuity modules" to open the rimm3&rimm4 slots for new ram. You can then add 2x256mb =1gb of ram -OR- 2x512mb for 1.5gb ram total. -OR- remove all old ram, plus continuity modules and then install 4x512mb =2gb of total ram. So, again do you want to drop that cash on such an old system. I recommend the 2x512mb =1gb should you decide yes to benefit for speed and added ummuff and continued use of system. If you're lucky in your area, buy an old Dell system with RDRAM installed roughly for the cost of ram alone. -OR- check ram vendors for costs.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?