General discussion

Slow data transfer problem.

Dear friends, I'll try to be clear in my explanations.

I have a problem with a Win98 based program running under WinXP. The problem seems to be how data is spooled and then transfered to a metal bending machine. Here's the story, we have a metal bending machine, all the info (lines and curves) comes out of a computer to the metal bending machine, the metal bending machine acts as a big printer basically. The program is Win98 based but the computer controlling the bending machine kunked last week and we replaced it with a new PC running WinXP. The Win98 based program works under Win XP but when the info is sent to the bending machine, it takes forever to transfer, it's as if there is an issue on how the data is spooled. Anybody has an idea on how I can adjust this? The bending machine is an Accu-Bend CNC (channel letter bending machine).

Thanks Happy

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Slow data transfer problem.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Slow data transfer problem.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Why not Windows 98?

I see such weekly on freecycle and we can get that old OS on ebay fast.

I'll reveal I write apps for RS232/422/485 connected gear and when this complaint is told I have to go to the shop and see what's up. One time it was some 128 megabyte ram machine running XP. That's going to hurt.
Bob

- Collapse -
Sorry?

Thanks for the reply, even though I've not the slightest idea what you are talking about (except for the Win 98 part).

I have a CD of the Win 98 OS but putting that OS in a new PC is a nightmare since Win 98 cannot relate to any of the new hardware; trying to get drivers for an outdated OS does not seem like an easy task either. I'm not a wizard in the domain but maybe there is a script I need to modify the info on or...

- Collapse -
I'm sorry too.

Since my reply is meaningless I'd call the person or company that created this software and ask them to sort it out.
Bob

- Collapse -
What happens if you ...

- find another old PC that can run Windows 98, or
- install Windows 98 in a virtual machine on your XP-machine, or
- try Windows 7 in stead of XP (you never know)

The alternatives seem to be:
- contact the maker of the software to see what they advise
- buy a version of the same software made for Windows XP

Kees

- Collapse -
Not meaningless

Hi Bob, it's not meaningless, it's just I didn't understand the entire email, I'm not a pro in the domain like you must be.

I tried contacting the company but my feel is, they want to sell the new version of the software that runs for newer OS which they sell for 2500 bucks, so their support is very limited. They said they were surprised I managed to run the old program on XP... were they really?

Cheers,

CNET Forums

Forum Info