Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Slow computer! - will increase disk space for temp internet files help?

by Gregory M / June 3, 2004 7:22 AM PDT

If I increase the setting for amount of disk space to use for Temporary Internet Files, will my computer go faster? It's had extremely slow internet browsing for the past week. I've done every spyware and virus scan in the book. Nothing is found. I even defragged. My disk space was set to about 3000 MB and I've increased it to around 8000 MB. (No improvement yet though.) I'm just wondering if this would help. And, what is the correct setting for that, anyway?
Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow computer! - will increase disk space for temp internet files help?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow computer! - will increase disk space for temp internet files help?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nope. . .

To properly speed up browsing you need to delete the temp files occasionally. The more files you keep, the longer the PC has to look for the pages, then compare them to the one on line, then decide which is the most relevant.

Collapse -
Re:Nope. . .
by Gregory M / June 3, 2004 8:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope. . .

I've been emptying the temp internet files like crazy, and in fact have always done so. I've tried everything to get my browsing back to normal, it's really gone downhill. Well out of curiosity, what should the temp internet disk space be set to?

Collapse -
Temporary Internet Files Use More Disk Space Than Specified ...
by Cetin Denislam / June 3, 2004 9:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:Nope. . .

>> I've been emptying the temp internet files like crazy, and in fact have always done so <<

You deleted them in the normal procedure. However, not all the files are deleted because of some deisgn oversights.

So, use the WORKAROUND procedure as described in the following MSKB article in order to delete by good the IE's cache folder (aka Temporary Internet files)

Q301057 -"Temporary Internet Files Use More Disk Space Than Specified"

Note: this procedure is easy because you know why and now How-To do it.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re:Slow computer! - will increase disk space for temp internet files help?

Log onto your computer with a different account and verify if the problem is computer related or profile related. I have found this a good starting point when troubleshooting problems.
Also, how are you connecting to the internet?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Slow computer! - will increase disk space for temp internet files help?

Many XP users experience this problem. One rumor has it that the security patches have caused the problem, although I haven't seen direct evidence. The conclusion seems to be that you need to do everything: defrag, get rid of unwanted startup programs, etc. I also found that increasing paging space helped (Control Panel / System / Advanced tab / Performance Settings button / Advanced tab (another one) / Virtual Memory Change button). I set the minimum to about 50% more than the Recommended size, and the maximum to 2X the minimum. This is voodoo, but it seemed to help, probably because I run some large programs. Also, here's a MSFT forum on XP performance: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain

Collapse -
Re:Re:Nope. . .

1. The Temporary Internet Files (TIF) AKA "browser caches" and what it contains are files which a user should not theoretically concern themselves with. Certain files are stored by default in the hard drive TIF folder from sites visited whether you want them or not. Each time a site is accessed and there is a need to display certain information, IE uses set options of whether to look in the TIF first to see if it's already there and if so, it is then displayed making things a little faster. Otherwise, the information necessary to display a page properly is download again for viewing as well as storing it in the TIF for possible later use.

2. Files stored in the TIF theoretically have a rollover based on the set percentage of hard drive to use, but does not apply to Cookie. An algorithms is supposed to takes place called "FIFO" (first in/first out) and supposed to remove oldest file as newer files are downloaded thus retaining the set usage percentage.

3. Since in my opinion, the files being in a constant flux with newer files being added and oldest files being purged as the set percentage is reached (FIFO), trying to personally control this is like sitting on the beach with a gallon bucket and trying to empty the ocean. Set the cache percentage of hard drive space use to something reasonable and you're comfortable with (Tools, Internet Options and on the General tab (Click to see an example screenshot), click Settings and in the Temporary Internet files section, use the odometer to select a reasonable setting in megabytes of hard drive space), [Q301057].

Collapse -
Need advice on what number settings for those things
by Gregory M / June 4, 2004 3:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Re:Nope. . .

Thanks for all the replies. Here are some answers. I haven't yet tried Cetin's workaround since I just arrived home, but I will, ASAP.

I am connecting with a cable modem, and it's usually lightning fast. The problem is present with all users, not just me.

PAGING SPACE: It says "Total paging file size for all drives: 192 MB", then when I click it, it goes to another tab and says "Initial Size: 192 MB....Maximum Size: 384 MB" Then below that it says: "Total Paging File Size for All Drives: Minumum Allowed: 2 MB, Recommended: 957 MB, Currently Allocated: 192 MB". It looks like I'm way below what they even recommend, let alone 50% higher! What should I reset it to, 1431 MB? Is that right? I'll wait until I hear back before I do that! Also I should note here that fairly occasionally that popup about "You are Runnning Low on Virtual Memory" appears. Applicable to the problem, you think?

Here's one other funky thing. I was watching the status bar as it was (not) connecting to my start page, which is a page that used to fly up on the screen but now takes over a minute. It was flashing that it was loading all sorts of advertising, lots of it, then this flashed by: "Bad URL". Eventually it loaded but it seemed like full of stress from loading a million ads. I don't know.
I will get to Cetin's project as soon as I can and will let you know.

Also, interesting info about the TIF disk space (esp, "sitting on the beach..."!) Ha, yeah, true that. What IS the recommended disk space to put that slider on? I've moved it so many times but have no idea what I'm doing anyway. What number should it be set to, where do you guys keep it?

Collapse -
Re:Need advice on what number settings for those things
by prescotthenry / June 4, 2004 3:18 AM PDT

Try power-cycling your cable modem...sometimes this works for me.

Collapse -
Re:Need advice on what number settings for those things
by Cetin Denislam / June 4, 2004 3:34 AM PDT

Check out the procedure descrobed in the following MSKB article.

Q315270 - "Error Message: Your System Has No Paging File, or the Paging File Is Too Small"

Also, click the Q308417 link inside the article and you'll find that the recommended size depends of your RAM amount. So, change it accordingly with your physical amount.

As for the TIF aka cache size, don't bother. When it fills the allocated size, the last used content (as time stamp) is lost. Never touched the default size, although it can be lowered if there is a free space need.

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re:Re:Need advice on what number settings for those things
by Gregory M / June 5, 2004 6:04 PM PDT

I got to the location in the system settings box but don't know what number to change it to. It says "Total paging file size for all drives....192MB. I have two hard drives, one is 37.2GB, the other is 74.5GB. Both are about half full. I'm lost.
P.S. Don't know what power-cycling the modem is.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Need advice on what number settings for those things
by Gregory M / June 5, 2004 7:12 PM PDT

Sorry, this is probably more to the point - it has 640MB RAM. I read this link too:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php
It looks like my amount is low. It said this about size:
"The file should be 2.5 times the size of RAM (or some other multiple)."
So - 1600MB of Page File space? Is my math right? Am I on the right page here? (Ha, no pun intended!)

Collapse -
IMO, it's pretty simple.

For best performance, do not set the initial size to less than the minimum recommended size under Total paging file size for all drives. The recommended size is equivalent to 1.5 times the amount of RAM. Usually, the paging file should be left at its recommended size, although a user might want to increase its size if using programs that require a lot of memory, [Q314482].

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Need advice on what number settings for those things
by Gregory M / June 6, 2004 10:09 AM PDT

I guess I'll leave it where it is. I've learned a lot about a topic I didn't know about. Thanks, appreciate everything.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Need advice on what number settings for those things

Gregory, it sounds that you had first 128 MB RAM, someone played with that Custom size setting and set it as:

Initial size = 128
Maximum size = 192 (128 x 1.5).

You added 512 MB later for a total of 640 MB. That setting remained as it was first. So, you should change to

Initial size = 640
Maximum size = 960

- or -

Simple tick the "System managed size" and let windows automatically set it. This way, if in the future you'll add more RAM, that size will be changed automatically and will be correlated with the total installed amount.

So, use the "System managed size" setting which is "no brainer"

Good Luck,

Cetin

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
(NT) Message has been deleted.
Collapse -
Re:Slow computer! - will increase disk space for temp internet files help?

If you use IE, you can change your settings to delete your temporary internet files when the browser closes. That is what I do and it saves me from having to do that routine maintenance on a regular basis.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Slow computer! - will increase disk space for temp internet files help?

It is IE6, and is set to do that but never seems to. Only when the computer shuts down totally, which isn't often.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.