Question

Slow Computer since installing 1903

It took forever to get the May update but eventually it came just before 1809 was about to expire on the 12th Nov now I have got it, everything has ground to a halt, on startup it takes ages to get up and running, any ideas ?, I can provide a Diag file if required

Discussion is locked

Answer
Follow
Reply to: Slow Computer since installing 1903
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Slow Computer since installing 1903
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Re: slow

Post was last edited on November 8, 2019 4:06 AM PST

- Collapse -
Slow Computer after 1903 install
- Collapse -
Re: Speccy

1. The speccy shows the 1903 update was more than 2 weeks ago. If that's the cause, it should be bad for 2 weeks already. Indeed?
2. That's a busy machine. What does task manager say about the total CPU usage and the top-5 programs using it? What does resource control say about disk and network usage?

If you suspect the Windows update, you should be able to go back to 1803 for 30 days (also it might be shortened to 10 recently; if that's the case you can't any more).

- Collapse -
Slow Computer after 1903

I don't think it was 2 weeks ago but anyway thanks I will check Task Manager

- Collapse -
Answer
I see a slow PC in the Speccy.

It's an older PC but what pops out immediately are all those drives.

As Windows will index and it does not matter if it's 1903 or 18 something all those drives eventually are scanned.

1. Remove all USB drives. These are the worst at speed and overhead.

2. The Seagate is gone. It has not failed but with stratospheric numbers in 01 and 07 this will cause a monster machine to perform like a single core netbook. Why this is, and more is well discussed. I stop here, you should too.

3. BOINC. Really? Do you need this?

4. 16.0GB Single-Channel. It's likely the RAM are in one or two incorrect slots.

5. Norton. Performance issues abound with this. With Windows Defender doing a fine job for those that practice safe computing, WHY?

6. Other .rap. Bluestacks and a possible driver updater app.
Let me be clear. You want PC trouble, you install a driver updater.

- Collapse -
Slow Computer after 1903

I will take on board all your comments and check them out, Driver updater is something I have had issues with, I will get rid of it is costing me, as for the USB drives I don't know why I leave then plugged in I will unplug them Norton I will not get rid of as I have used it for years and found it ok, I know it is said to have issues,
the Ram has been ok for a long time and was built by a company I have used for over 15 years, I will let you know how I get on. Thanks

- Collapse -
The item in bold

Is the real standout.

As to the RAM, someone someday will correct that for a free 10% or more boost in areas like CPU and graphics.

The RAM setup is incorrect and a common mistake. I read these reports and share what I find.

Now if you want to know "just one thing", then stick to item 2 which I put in bold to emphasize that it outweighs all the other items.

Post was last edited on November 8, 2019 12:10 PM PST

CNET Forums

Forum Info