General discussion

Slow Computer & probs w/Avery in Office

I know, if it ain't broke, dont' fix it... but I'm a bored old lady with MS and sometimes I can't leave well enough alone. So please, no lectures, if you get me fixed, I promise to be 4ever grateful. Happy

I messed with Services.MSC, I wanted to speed up my system, now I've made it slower.

I tried using Avery Label Wizard in Microsoft Office 2007 today, and it popped up a warning error.

Apparently I've disabled something in Services.MSC that would let Avery work. Sad

See links for images of errors:
<a href="http://absolutelyangi.com/avery_error1.jpg"></a>

<a href="http://absolutelyangi.com/avery_error2.jpg"></a>

Can anyone tell me which services should be started as automatic, automatic (delayed), Manual, or Disabled at Start Up?

And NO, I can't do a System Restore cuz like an idiot, I turned it off.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Angi

OS Version: Microsoft? Windows Vista? Business , Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel? Core?2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3069 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 476898 MB, Free - 380422 MB; J: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 400707 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0FM586, , ..CN736048B800IW.
Antivirus: Kaspersky Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Slow Computer & probs w/Avery in Office
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Slow Computer & probs w/Avery in Office
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
A good place to start

Hi Angi. No lectures, I promise! Happy

A good place to start is Black Viper's list of Services for Vista SP2 here;
http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

It's a manual check exercise, work down the list and see if your own Services match his list, one at a time.

However that probably will not show 'particular services' for 3rd party software. The list is stock, for a default install of Vista SP2. But it may help.

In fact thinking about it, if you have Service entries in your own list that does not appear in the Black Viper listing, chances are one of those may be for the Avery Label Wizard. Double click each entry to open a Properties window which may explain what it does.

Just one thought. How did you change your Services settings? There are a couple of ways but the recommended way is through the Services Console itself, and not through MSCONFIG or the Task Manager.

Mark

- Collapse -
Black Viper's list is what caused all of my woes...

I set everything back to default settings for Vista, now it takes 26 green bars for my machine to come up. I used services.msc to do that. Then I went in to msconfig and ck'd the start up tab, took out the crap that windows doesn't need to start up. Now it takes about 8 green bars, but alas, Avery Labeler is still giving me that error. I've uninstalled and re-installed at least 4 times now. Called Avery, they said they were sending me a free complimentary disc to intall it that way. The guy could not understand what I was trying to tell him about services... *sigh*

And BTW BV doesn't have Office in his list.

I've called all of my friends & relatives, but no one has vista business & office 2007, so I couldn't grab their settings. Sad

At wits end...

Angi

CNET Forums

Forum Info