Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Slow computer - External HD

by RichN2008 / December 23, 2008 11:02 PM PST

Recently our pc gave us a warning message about "low virtual memory" and when I checked the internal hard drive found that our computer seems to be full of mostly photos and Itunes.
When I inquired at out local big box store they recomended an external hard drive and assured me it would solve our problems. The obviously computer savvy teenager indicated that if we stored and accessed photos, itunes, etc. on this ext. drive that our pc would return to its previous speed. I installed a 500 GB external via usb, moved about 50 gb (my documents)to the ext but it still shows that they are accessing "C" drive. Was I sold a bill of goods?
I am computer novice at best so its very possible that what I need is adjustable (I hope).
Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Rich

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow computer - External HD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow computer - External HD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Or a "pack of trouble."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2008 11:23 PM PST

External hard disks are nice enough but if you read our Storage forum people forget these are less reliable than our internal hard disks (externals tend to get dropped or have issues.)

So when you moved those photos, did you make a backup onto some other media so if the external stops working you don't lose them?

-> Back on topic. The low virtual memory is either a quick adjustment or an trip to HIGH TECH WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT. Let's try simple first.

1. Simple. Read http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826513
2. Next step. Read Grif's advice about malware at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6122_102-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=319857&messageID=2925588&tag=forums06;posts#2925588
3. High tech what the heck is he writing about. -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315270

I've had to use items 1 and 2 most often. Item 3 is a little rare but I'll write I have to do that in about 2 out of 10 times.
Bob

Collapse -
The problem is not your internal HD
by cjketner / December 24, 2008 2:02 AM PST

What that teenager neglected to tell you is what virtual memory is, so I will try to explain. First off, yes it does deal with space on you internal HD. What virtual memory systems do is once all the RAM on your PC is used up it will use the page file that is already set on your hard drive as RAM memory. I don't know what you have your page file set too but this is how you get to it...

Click Start, then open the Control Panel.

Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

Click the Advanced tab.

Under Performance, click Settings.

Click the Advanced tab.

Under Virtual memory, click Change.

Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file (virtual memory) settings that you want to change. In almost every case, this will be your C: drive.

Click to select the "System managed size" option, then click Set.

Click OK three times to get back to your desktop and restart your computer.

This is one way of maybe solving your problem... BUT, I promise you this wont fix the problem permanently. If you would like to fix this problem for good follow the instructions I am about to give you.

For one, since you're having VM problems then I'm guessing you have between 512mb of RAM to 1gb. If this is the case you should go to your local best buy or computer store and purchase 512mb of RAM to 1gb more of RAM. Like I explained before, you computer using the paging file when your RAM is all used up. This means more ram, less paging file, faster computer. Make sure that the RAM you are purchasing is compatible with your PC. You should find the Specs. on you computer and take it with you. Being a 17 year old my self I can safely say TALK TO SOMEONE THAT IS OLDER THAN 30 IF POSSIBLE. The teenager obviously wanted to sell a product and was not concerned with your actual problem. Another thing is I don't know what hard drive you are running but if it is under 60gb then again you should upgrade. Todays programs unfortunatley do concern themselves with running greatly on older computers. All and all with these upgrades you should be set on faster computing times. I would also recomend a registry cleaner..If you have never had one of these then if you get a good one it will show about 100-500 errors your pc is running and fix them all. A great one I recommend is PC TOOLS REGISTRY CLEANER. It is great and I run it my self. As for you external, it is a great tool to back up data you want to keep. Make sure when yo move things to the hard drive that once they are done copying you delete them from your documents. I hope my explaination has helped you at least in a little way below is a link to show you what RAM is and what it looks like.

http://www.guyoftech.com/2008/01/common-misunderstandings-between-ram.html

Collapse -
To reynaldosheppard, post deleted.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 25, 2008 7:49 PM PST

Sorry, but tag links are not allowed in these forums.

That's why your post had to go.

Mark

Collapse -
Move location of My documents
by gardener60 / December 25, 2008 9:56 PM PST

Although you have correctly put them on your hard drive youll have to change where the computer considers them to be.Right click My Documents then properties then move location to external drive.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?