OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name XZAVIER_LAPTOP
System Manufacturer Alienware
System Model M14xR1
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz, 2001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Alienware A03, 5/5/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name XZAVIER_LAPTOP\Xzavier Williams
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 5.95 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.13 GB
Total Virtual Memory 11.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 7.68 GB
Page File Space 5.95 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I bought an alienware M14X about 2 years ago and I've had problems with it ever since. Any game I play including games that aren't graphically intensive have terrible frame rate issues. Recently it has also developed a habit of randomly shutting down mid game. I think it's overheating. It also likes to crash when I try to play games or watch videos in full screen. I'm not sure what the problem(s) is/are. Please help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow Computer and Various Errors
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow Computer and Various Errors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Sorry but 2 years and now you want it fixed?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2013 1:10 PM PDT

Since the problem has been there since day 1 I fear the worst such as it needs a new mainboard.

I'm taking your word that it's always been bad.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by xwill13 / September 3, 2013 10:13 PM PDT

To be more specific I haven't had all of these problems the whole time. It started kind of small with the frame rate thing only happening sometimes and just gradually grew from there. I didn't really notice or care because even with the issues it was still outperforming my old computer by leaps and bounds (my previous computer ran on windows 93) . Only recently did I start looking around and realizing that I probably shouldn't be having these problems at all. Anyway, If replacing the motherboard is the only option how can I make that happen for myself?

Collapse -
Once you see
by Jimmy Greystone / September 3, 2013 10:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Once you see how much a replacement motherboard costs, you'll probably just start considering the option of a new laptop. Though with an Alienware, it might alter the balance of the equation a little. $400-$500 for a new motherboard is probably only about a quarter of what a new unit would cost as opposed to over half for most other models.

But if you've never done any kind of hardware repairs before, you probably don't want to make a laptop motherboard be your first. Even if you have a fair bit of experience with desktop repairs, laptops are very different beats. Desktops all follow a reasonably standard format, but every laptop model is a custom bit of hardware from top to bottom. Generally there are lots of little cables where you need to get the routing exactly right or the case won't fit back together properly. You'll want to pay someone to do it for you.

Collapse -
Ok Thanks
by xwill13 / September 5, 2013 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Once you see

Alright thanks. You've been helpful. I'll look into the costs and move on from there.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
So it's gradually gotten BAD?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2013 6:23 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?