General discussion

SLOW COMPUTER AND MOUSE POINTER

WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL SERVICE PACK 3

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHY MY COMPUTER IS RUNNING SO SO SLOW DO I NEED TO TAKE SOME THING OFF OR WHAT WILL YOU ALL PLEASE HELP.

MY MOUSE POINTER I PLAY THE GAME ON FACEBOOK CALL CAFE WORLD I LOVE THAT GAME. BUT WHEN I CLICK ON THE COFFEE OR DRINK I HAVE TO CLICK 8 TO 9 TIME. CAN YOU ALL TALL ME WHAT UP WITH THAT .I HOPE YOU ALL CAN HELP ME PLEASE.

I AM ON A FIX INCOME AND DISABL. THE ONLY THING I DO ALL DAY IS PLAY CAFE WORLD. PLEASE HELP ME.

GOD BLESS

Note: This post was edited by forum moderator to remove email address to prevent spam harvesters from picking it up. on 11/09/2010 on 6:49 AM PT

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: SLOW COMPUTER AND MOUSE POINTER
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: SLOW COMPUTER AND MOUSE POINTER
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
First

Hi,

I understand where you are at and want it fixed but a couple of things first. You should not type all in capitals, this makes things hard to read and is considered yelling.

Also, you should not be posting your email address on any forum like you just did, more for your personal security reasons than anything.

Last, I see you are running XP pro SP3, can you give any more details on your system? If you see your computer icon, right click on it, choose "properties" and just state what is written in the box. We'll get you up and running Wink

- Collapse -
Second!

remove some programs that you don't really need. delete anything useless. usually if you have huge files on your C Drive, which is usually where almost all programs are, your PC slows down. delete some of your music and video files, or move them to another drive. or better yet, buy a usb or an external hard drive big enough for these kind of files. they're not that expensive. get cheap 4 to 8gig usb. hope this helps you.

and hey, check your RAM, maybe it's too low. i had the same prob with my old PC, windows xp pro 400+MB RAM. that's too low if you have so many programs.

- Collapse -
Third

Good suggestions but I would hold off on the house cleaning or moving and copying of files and the reason I didn't suggest anything yet, if there is malware on that machine, there is a risk of moving that along with it, plus working with an infected machine will cause more harm than good. Determining if a pc is infected or not should nearly always be a first step.

While large files can change performance, I would think it's a large amount of "Temporary Files" that would be more a culprit in this situation, Ccleaner would be a great option for this.

Plus, telling someone who may not be technically inclined to delete anything useless, may cause more harm than good as they won't know what is useless or not, only to find they've deleted folders and files that were necessary. There is no indication that they have to delete anything yet.

CNET Forums

Forum Info