Computer Help forum

General discussion

slow computer

by compleks / March 12, 2008 12:44 PM PDT

hey everyone thanks for checkin out the post,

my computers been running unusually slow lately. it was running fine up until about a few days ago.

what had happened was i was installing adobe CS3 updates when my computer crashed right in the middle of it.

ever since then my computer has been taking forever to load anything. even the mouse has trouble keeping up and stutters. also, the battery light turns on and off rhythmically about every second.

if anyone has had this problem or knows how to fix it id greatly appreciate it. thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: slow computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: slow computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Slow Computer
by lznettech / March 12, 2008 1:18 PM PDT
In reply to: slow computer

Greetings...
This could be due to the startup programs in the system tray of your computer.
1. Click 'Start'
2. Click 'Run'
3. In the 'Open' box, type: msconfig
4. Click OK
5. Click the 'Startup' tab at the top of system configuration utility
6. Go to google.com with each of these 'startup items' and check to see if they're essential for the operation of your computer.

i.e. qttask is quick time media player - obviously not essential to have running when your computer boots up. Uncheck that from the list.

Hope this helps,
Ben

Collapse -
thanks for the reply
by compleks / March 12, 2008 3:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Slow Computer

thanks for the reply,

i tried doing what you said...
ive reduced the startup processes to 4 things.

- Groovemonitor
- Sansa Dispatch - (for my sansa mp3 player)
- Icatch(VI) SnapDetect
- RAMASST

ive had these processes for a while, so i dont think it would cause my computer to slow down.

when i restarted my computer i noticed the time it takes to reboot also slowed down drastically. it would usually take about 2 minutes to start up but now it takes a good 10 minutes or so.

maybe something is wrong with my hard drive? im not much of a computer whiz but i cant think of anything else.

Collapse -
btw
by compleks / March 12, 2008 4:34 PM PDT

oh and by the way, by "battery light" i mean the light that lights up when the computer is "thinking".

Collapse -
by lznettech / March 12, 2008 6:55 PM PDT
In reply to: btw

I would download yourself a good registry cleaner. A good one i would recommend is Auslogics Registry Defrag. It will both clean up and and defrag your registry. Also, Auslogics has a Hard Drive defrag program. I would use both of these and let us know how it goes after that. It sounds like your system tray is pretty clean. that's good, and bad. If your computer is still running slow after removing the programs out of there, it means the problems lies deeper. Also, might not be a bad idea to download CCleaner. All of these programs you can download at download.com - try all of these, and let me know how it goes in the morning.

LZ

Collapse -
Startup Items
by lznettech / March 12, 2008 7:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply

I don't know if what you told me were the ONLY startup items. If those that you listed are the only ones...I would make sure I did the following...

Download Zonealarm Non-Pro edition. its free, and it'll protect you from spyware.

Download AVG Antivirus Free Edition. its obviously free, but will protect you from viruses far better than mcafee or trend micro.

Download Spybot Search & Destroy...the best spyware removal tool in my opinion.

Not having essential security on your computer can lead to plenty of problems.

If you do have a good security situation...i'd try the following...

on a DOS prompt...enter in the following commands...

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

netsh int ip delete arpcache

let me know how it goes after that.

Thanks,
LZ

Collapse -
netsh commands
by lznettech / March 12, 2008 7:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Startup Items

All these require a restart before taking effect.

Collapse -
Slow Computer
by lznettech / March 12, 2008 7:06 PM PDT
In reply to: netsh commands

I forgot. It may be a hardware issue. Go buy yourself a can of compressed air. Hold your finger between the fans above your cpu, so that it doesn't get spinned around and ruin the fan. Then spray the compressed air can into the heat sink...make sure all the dust bunnies are out. In addition, make sure there is no dust in the video card or around the hard drive. Make sure the there is good ventilation, if you build the pc yourself. make sure the fans are facing out, rather than in.

Collapse -
Update on my situation
by compleks / March 15, 2008 5:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Startup Items

Sorry for the wait, I just wanted to make sure I had tried most of the things you said before posting a reply.

I've tried running the following programs :

-Auslogic BoostSpeed which has
- - -Registry Cleaner
- - -Disk Cleaner
- - -Disk Defrag
- - -Internet Optimizer
- - -Memory Optimizer
-CCleaner
-Zonealarm Non-Pro Edition
-PC Tools Spyware Doctor
-PC Tools Threatfire

These are some great programs. I do notice my computer has sped up a lot from where it was before. Im guessing its mainly because of the disk defrag and registry cleaner. So thanks much for that.

I've also tried entering those commands into DOS prompt and uninstalling Adobe CS3 but that didn't seem to do much.

My computer still seems to suffer from some sort of glitch. I made a video and posted it up on youtube to help show you guys what my computer is suffering. Notice how the light turns on whenever it stops the computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alWde2hTo_g

This "stuttering" isn't a constant 24/7 thing... sometimes I don't even notice it's there and it feels fixed and other times it's really bad and I can barely control the mouse.

Rebooting is still brutal.

I haven't tried using the compressed air can to spray away the dust yet. I will pick up a can next time I go to the store.

I'm open to any more suggestions.

Thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate it.

Collapse -
btw
by compleks / March 15, 2008 6:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Update on my situation

oh yea btw to avoid some confusion, I have a laptop that's connected to a desktop monitor because my laptop screen is busted.

Collapse -
(NT) Try uninstalling then re-installing the updates for Adobe.
by Edward ODaniel / March 13, 2008 5:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
SYstem Restore
by smrtdrmmr / March 13, 2008 11:30 AM PDT

If you can restore to before your attempted installation then you should be all fixed.

Collapse -
how do i restore?
by compleks / March 16, 2008 3:04 PM PDT
In reply to: SYstem Restore

how do i restore? is it too late now?

Collapse -
heres a better video of whats going on....
by compleks / March 16, 2008 8:10 PM PDT
In reply to: how do i restore?

heres a better video of whats going on with my computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeMhb6rk-wI

notice how whenever the lights turn on the cpu usage goes up and the mouse "stutters".

as a producer, its hard for me to make my music because its always doing this. sometimes it can go on for up to 5 minutes straight with no let up.

Collapse -
anyone know whats up with my computer?
by compleks / March 23, 2008 7:34 PM PDT

anyone have any idea on how i could do fix my computer? im seriously contemplating reformatting my hard drive... :\

Collapse -
Suggestions Have Been Given.. Have You Tried Them?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 24, 2008 3:19 AM PDT

Used System Restore yet? (In Windows XP, click on Start-All Programs-Accessories-System Tools-System Restore.. When the SR window loads, select "Restore my computer to an earlier time", then click on "Next". When the next "Calendar" windows loads, select a bold date prior to the problem.. Then follow the prompts to restart and restore your computer.)

Uninstalled the Adobe updates yet?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
looks like its too late
by compleks / March 27, 2008 1:38 AM PDT

looks like its too late... the furthest back i can restore is the 15th and the problem started around the 11th. gah, just missed it.

i also completely uninstalled adobe CS3. maybe adobe left some corrupt files on my computer or something?

heres something strange i noticed. every time I start to watch a video on youtube, my computer starts to stutter. but once the movie is fully loaded, the stuttering stops.

something similar happens to my computer with windows media player as well. the computer stutters when i first open it but after about 30 seconds or so it stops.

windows media player usually runs fine after the stuttering stops, but if i minimize it the stuttering starts again. and same goes for re-maximizing it.

weird huh? its pretty frustrating... Ill try to post up another youtube video of it doing that soon.

until then i guess ill have to deal with it.

Collapse -
It Still Sounds Like...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 27, 2008 4:09 AM PDT

..you've got too many programs and services running in the background.. With all programs and browser windows closed on your computer, open the Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Delete, then click on the "Task Manager" button), then click on the "Processes" tab, how many "Processes" do you see in the lower left corner? Try to get that to 30 -35 or less, if possible.

I do it using the instructions below. For Windows XP, ignore the first couple of sentences about checking "resources" and the "Performance tab" in the link below but follow the rest of the procedures including the "Services" links at the bottom.

How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs

Once you're done, then run "Error Checking/Chkdsk", using the instructions below:

How To Run 'Error Checking/Chkdsk' On Win2000/XP

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?