Laptops forum

Question

Slow coldboot alienware laptop

Hi! I have a Alienware m14x r2. Got it in December 2012. Here's the story: Out of the box the laptop wouldn't start, and a technician was here twice and fixed it(changed hdd and main board).

About one month later i wanted to use the Bluetooth, just to find out it didn't work, a technician was here again changing the wifi/bt radio.

I then noticed the laptop was very slow to start up. I can hear the machine working the keyboard lights up and the fan starts, but the screen remains black for about a minute(no back light). the it goes directly to the alienware boot-logo. This only happens from a cold boot. If I do a reboot it works fine. does anybody know what can be wrong? if its a quick software fix, I rather do it myself then spend hours on the phone with dell reinstalling windows and all the drivers(yes! had to do that with the bt).

Specs:
Intel i7-3630QM @2,4GHz
8GB memory
NVIDIA geforce gt650M
500 GB HDD

Hope someone can help me! Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow coldboot alienware laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow coldboot alienware laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
additional info

In reply to: Slow coldboot alienware laptop

BTW
Here's the specific times: from I turn on the laptop it takes 1:34 minutes before the screen shows anything. Then it takes another 54 seconds to the log in screen shows, then another 54 seconds for me to open Firefox. So all together 3:23 minutes for the machine to start up.

This have been a issue since i got the machine, but I have up to date antivirus etc. and reinstalled everything(windows, drivers in the order recommended by dell) less than a week ago. Once the machine is running I can't complain about the speed. Runs every game I've tried on a very good setting as well, so I doubt this would have anything to do with virus or anything like that.

This test was done with no connected usb, memory card etc. only the power cord was connected.

I will update when I have talked to dell. If anybody else experience the same problem.

Collapse -
(NT) And if you use hibernate in stead of shutdown?

In reply to: additional info

Collapse -

In reply to: And if you use hibernate in stead of shutdown?

Same issue from hibernate. About 1minute for the screen to output anything.

Talked to dell yesterday. They told me to install two bios drivers and reinstall the driver for the chipset. Did this, though the chipset wouldn't install. When I told them this they told me to reinstall windows and all software. Then contact them again if it still don't work. Done this once before, but will give it another shot.

If anyone have any suggestions I'm happy to try it out!

Collapse -
Answer
This have been a issue since i got the machine

In reply to: Slow coldboot alienware laptop

This it's an issue with the machine. Since it always did that, you get on the phone with Dell and repeat the return, repair cycle until it's fixed or you get them to accept the full return.

It did this right out of the box so it may have to go back into the box.
Bob

Collapse -
Alienware coldboot

In reply to: This have been a issue since i got the machine

I have seen this problem on several brands of PCs where a hard boot will hang the machine on reboot. Alienware seems worse than others. On others you just power down via the switch wait 15 seconds & power on again.
On Alienware you must discharge the ROM memory by unplugging from AC, pressing the on/off button to a count of 20 re-connect and THEN turn the switch on. I've seen this with XP pro, Vista & Win 7 on HPs, ACER and Dell and SONY I have not even called Alienware on this cause they're gonna give me some line of bull that will not fix the problem. In other cases I've tracked the problem to an OS/ BIOS issue which neither Microsoft or the hardware Mfg will admit to but I am inclined to believe it is an OS finding an unstable system after the cold boot. I am however astonished as to the production quality of Alienware . I am returning my second Aurora R4 today and it seems I am not the only one. Certainly the Alienware products do not have the rock solid quality of the DELL line or their design is so complicated (way too many pretty lights) that the BIOS has problems keeping what REALLY needs to work stable. But that is MY opinion.

Collapse -
coldboot

In reply to: Alienware coldboot

Well! I get where you are coming from I have posts on four different forums about issues I have with this laptop. Wierdly the Aurora R4 keep coming up, a lot of people have issues with that rig. How ever, I have think I have located the issue. after installing crysis 3 and getting a wopping 12fps on lowest settings I did some sirious digging into my gpu, and the conclution is that it's defect. After a talk to dell, another re install they are coming tomorrow to replace my motherboard/gpu, which I expect stand for both issues.

On the question how good is alienware? I will say it's a really good laptop on paper, all tough i'm sick and tired of all these faults. Good costumer service make up for some of it, but still 1200£, it should work at least on the second try?!?

I will post a reply here tomorrow after the motherboard replace, and tell you if it fixed it:)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.