PC Hardware forum

General discussion

slow burn speeds with external dvd burner

by sbga01 / September 27, 2007 6:00 PM PDT

i recently got a Philips SPD3600CC 20x external usb dvd burner. I enabled nero to show the ACTUAL burn speed instead of the selected burn speed. the burner will get to 9.5x then it will start slowing down and stay at 7.9x. I am using tdk 16x dvd-r media. It takes about 7 minutes for the dvd to burn. Is it just me or is this product defective? Any input appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: slow burn speeds with external dvd burner
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: slow burn speeds with external dvd burner
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not to be too upset
by lacsr / September 27, 2007 8:57 PM PDT

While the 20X advertising sounds good, all things need to be just right to get it. You need to have NO other activity going on while you burn for one thing. No web surfing or any game playing. Some will say that anti-virus or other memory resident programs can interfere with the burn process also. If you are real concerned with the burn speed, the only way to see if that is the case is to shut down other programs that may want any resouces. Then try again.

Collapse -
Also - it depends on what you are burning
by lacsr / September 27, 2007 9:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Not to be too upset

If you were doing a video, how was it being done? Were the files already on the harddrive and the write program just putting it on the DVD? If it was data, then did the writing program have to do anything to the data before it could be written?

Collapse -
data cd
by sbga01 / September 28, 2007 2:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Not to be too upset

This is when I am burning a data DVD from my hard drive to the burner. no transcoding is being done before burn or anything, just straight to the disc

Collapse -
(NT) DUPLICATE POST !!!!
by VAPCMD / September 27, 2007 10:11 PM PDT
Collapse -
OK, somewhere DVD = 120 minutes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2007 10:24 PM PDT

You took 7 minutes to burn. So my calculation is...

120 / 7 = 17.14 times.

Seems like you actually hit the numbers.

Bob

PS. Try to curb your posts to 1 or 2 forums and wait a day. If no answer then try another. Spamming the forums may be noticed.

Collapse -
by sbga01 / September 28, 2007 2:15 AM PDT

so, do you think this product is defective?

Collapse -
(NT) No, just the math.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2007 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: ...
Collapse -
by sbga01 / September 28, 2007 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: No, just the math.

so is this just a case of nero reporting the wrong speed?
if i get you right you are saying a 1x burn = 120minutes, correct

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2007 5:39 AM PDT
In reply to: ..

I defer to content you find out there. I offered one explanation and hope you can do a little more reseach. Try the wikipedia or google and share your findings.

Bob

Collapse -
by sbga01 / September 28, 2007 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

so basically, you don't know

Collapse -
Here's the deal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2007 9:47 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

Moderators are unpaid and each has their own style.

One of my quirks is to help you learn to help yourself. That is "fishing lessons" instead of fish.

If you feel I don't know, then we'll call it a day.

Bob

Collapse -
here's my deal
by sbga01 / September 28, 2007 12:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Here's the deal.

just to let you know, forums are my last resort when looking for information as it is for a lot of people. i am aware of google and wikipedia so quit insulting my intelligence. perhaps people shouldn't answer questions if they dont know the answer, this could lead people in the wrong direction

Collapse -
Thanks for being clear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2007 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: here's my deal

Best of luck, hope my simple answer helped you understand it.

Bob

Collapse -
0.70x Burn....
by dmyers37 / December 4, 2007 9:04 AM PST

Ok....I finally found a post on the SPD3600 and I expected the same complaint that I have...but 17x??? That's awesome compared to the 0.70x that I am currently getting from this dvd burner.

DMA is on, I have 2gig of ram and a Pentium M with 160ghz. Nothing points to an obvious problem (it IS plugged into a USB 2.0 and has the latest firmware). I've used CloneDVD, Nero, Alcohol, ShrinkDVD....you name it I've tried it. Slowness comes on a direct backup of a dvd, burning from the hd, data backup, software backup, EVERYTHING!

It's pretty frustrating not even being able to burn at real time!! 1x would be good for now! Anyone have any advice? Am I missing something obvious? Anything would be great! Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Collapse -
Full details.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2007 1:12 AM PST
In reply to: 0.70x Burn....

But I'd start a new post since yours is going on page 2 and won't be seen on the first page here. Makes for too much scrolling.

As to full details you have some of them but not all.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.