Computer Specs:
2gig ram,
2.4 dual core proc,
gigabyte mobo,
x1950xt

Router: Netgear wirless wgsomethingorother
Cable Modem: Rented from Charter
Cable Speed: 5meg (speed tested at about 3.5-4.8

I have tried everything from renewing my ip, resetting my router, but nothing seems to help on my speeds. I really seem to browse extremely slowly (using both mozilla and ie).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Lammy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow browsing dl speed.. not sure why
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow browsing dl speed.. not sure why
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry for the delay.

In reply to: Slow browsing dl speed.. not sure why

What do you mean by slow? And has it ever been faster? If so, what has changed since then?

What do you do about viruses, spyware, adware and trojans?

Mark

Collapse -
Slow Online Speeds

In reply to: Slow browsing dl speed.. not sure why

Greetings...
I would check to see if you're losing any data. This can severely slow down your connection. Click 'Start', then click 'Run'...type cmd into the "Open" box. When the black DOS window pops up, type in the following:

ping -t yahoo.com

This should send a test packet to yahoo.com every second until you cancel the test. Let this run for about 5 minutes, then hit "Ctrl + C" on your keyboard. This will stop the test.

If it lists a 5% packet loss or greater, either your Netgear Router is going bad, or your ISP's Modem is. To test which is having a problem, bypass the Netgear and try the same test while connected directly to the modem.

Hope this helps...
LZ

Collapse -
Spyware/Startup Programs

In reply to: Slow Online Speeds

Sorry...another suggestion. You may also want to look in your system tray, where your "Clock" is. Make sure there are no programs like Limewire, Frostwire, Napster, or Kazaa running. If they are, right click on them, exit out of them, and try to connect again. If you've got a Peer2peer file sharing program running, it could be eating up your bandwidth.

In addition, while your down there, look for any programs that you're not familiar with, or that you don't remember installing. Such programs could be "false" antivirus or spyware programs that mascarade as protection, but eatup bandwidth by turning your computer into a bot server (a computer that has been taken control of by a virus, which uses your computer to increase the hackers bandwidth in his "botnet"). Unless your computer is acting really haywire tho, this probably isn't the case.

I'd run all spyware and antivirus scans tho, just to be sure. If this doesn't resolve the problem, open up your DOS window like you would in the suggestion above, and type in the following commands...

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset catalog

If Vista,
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

Collapse -
netsh commands

In reply to: Spyware/Startup Programs

These commands require a restart in order to take affect.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.