Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Slow boot up and shutdown

During the past couple of weeks my desktop has been very slow to boot up and to shutdown, timed near 5 minutes!

My system:
Dell Dimension 4500 88GB 7200 RPM HD
P4, 1.7Ghz
WinXP Home SP2 and all MS issue updates
768 MB RAM, at 266Mhz

While I do have lots of stuff on this computer, it had been running smoothly throughout all this time, requiring absolutely no major maintenance at all. I do have 8-10 items in the system tray needed for the programs that I run and they are the same items that have been there for a year and a half, with the exception of Pest Patrol and iTunes. I?ve been uninstalling some software in the process to turn the computer over to my older sister.

I?ve tried everything: streamlined the system tray, scanned the disk, defragged it, ran Registry Mechanic, to no avail. I need to fix it, leaving reformatting the HD and a fresh install of the operating system as the last recourse.

Any suggestions as to what else I can do will be greatly appreciated.

lillirod

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow boot up and shutdown
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow boot up and shutdown
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The "event viewer" may reveal all

In reply to: Slow boot up and shutdown

found in Managment Tools - and follow any link to Help and Support - there is also a program called UPHCclean from Microsoft which shuts down programs. Read the "readme text file that comes with it.
Peter

Collapse -
UPHClean

In reply to: The "event viewer" may reveal all

Thank you for your prompt reply! Downloaded and tried it. Got several messages on Windows inability to upload registry file still in use by other applications or services, also tht memory used has not been freed. Computer is running very very slow. Am at a loss here! About ready to call for support in reformatting HD!

Collapse -
Yes that is usual

In reply to: UPHClean

But there maybe a clue in the messages about which program it is that is hogging the registry during shut down. I recently had a problem after uninstalling a program - the registry got corrupt and this was causing the problem - the eroor message in the event viewer gave me the clue - I did a search of the reistry for stuff left over from this program and had trouble viewing the subfolders - it was obviously corupt so I deleted the folder and things worked.
If its not due to the above, best thing to do is use msconfig and see what is loading at startup - stop programs from loading to try and find out which one is causing the problem.
I get this all the time because I am always installing new stuff.
Have you also ran a registry cleaning program - this may find the problem.
Peter

Collapse -
re: Yes that is usual

In reply to: Yes that is usual

Thanks again. After a couple of tries, it seems to have improved shutdown and somewhat the boot up. The problem seems to be in the registry but am afraid to mess with it.

It seems as if I opened Pandora's box! All sorts of problems have surfaced such as some application in Norton Internet Security in spite of updating on a regular basis. I uninstalled, reinstalled and updated again it but now Outlook Express will not open due to a conflict created by Norton Antispam, which appears not to have a solution yet. Tried turning off Antispam to no avail.

Collapse -

Collapse -
slow start up

I had a similar problem and used a free program called Starup Inspector for windows. It's an elaboration of ms config, but allows you to remove startup items singly and keeps the icons so that it's easy to reinstall if the one you've deleted does not solve a problem. I also use a small shareware program called Reg Healer, which is undemanding on resources, and trims the registry.

Collapse -
Why not reinstall?

If you are giving away/selling this computer, I'd recommend you do a reinstall of the operating system, drivers and software. Why not give her a clean system? It should eliminate the problem and no leftovers from your use.

Collapse -
re Why not reinstall?

In reply to: Why not reinstall?

Yes, that has always been the last resource as the machine still has some day's left on the extended guarantee and Dell support will guide me through the proces. I was hoping to do a quick fix, but it has taken longer than a clean install.

Tuesday 7/5 is the deadline to call Dell support.

Thanks.

Collapse -

Collapse -
Scanned for spyware and virusses yet ?

Hi all,

It might be usefull to scan your computer for spyware or viruses , to make sure you aren't infected with them.

Because in most cases , when your computer is running slow , it might have to do with spyware or viruses.

Install Spybot Search & Destroy ( http://www.spybot.info ) and Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06 ( http://www.lavasoft.de )

Additionally , you can also install Microsoft Antispyware Beta , if you are running a legal Windows XP version , of course.

I hope this helped you further.

If not , please let me know.

Greetings ,

Pcfreakske2000

Collapse -
re: Scanned for spyware and virusses yet ?

In reply to: Scanned for spyware and virusses yet ?

Yes, did that too but the problem seems to be in the registry as I uninstalled a lot of software as part of the cleanup.

Collapse -
Tell more.

In reply to: re: Scanned for spyware and virusses yet ?

You write "the problem seems to be in the registry as I uninstalled a lot of software as part of the cleanup." but don't go on to tell what error messages or why you suspect the registry.

Collapse -
re: Slow boot up and shutdown

Thanks! Will try it but first two questions: will
Repair also fix my registry or create a new one? Will I have to reinstall all software?

Appreciate answers as I am a senior user but definitely not a techie!

Collapse -
re Slow boot up and shutdown

Thanks! Will try it but first two questions: will
Repair also fix my registry or create a new one? Will I have to reinstall all software?

Appreciate answers as I am a senior user but definitely not a techie!

Lillian

Collapse -
My 2 comments.

Collapse -
re My 2 comments.

In reply to: My 2 comments.

Thanks again Bob,

Read the article but it doesn't seem to apply to the situation as the machine has not undergone any change in hardware or HD partitioning. Also, there were no messages on the UPHClean

For now, will concentrate on the registry. If all else fails, on Tue 7/5 the machine will have 6 day's left on the extended guarantee and I will call Dell support to guide my through a fresh install.

I appreciate all the recommendations and hope I will be able to fix it over the week end rather than reformat.

Will let you know what happens.
Regards,
Lillian

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.