Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Slow bandwidth speeds

by pnajariank / July 14, 2005 10:51 PM PDT

We have a PC using a D-link router to the cable modem, Netgear wireless router and several laptops running various wireless adapters. The bandwidth speed hovers around 3400 on the PC but when I check through a laptop (and performance proves this), it drops to 1500. Would getting a new wireless router (Belkin Pre-N) help here? What is the rate limiting step? The PC is mine and I want everyone else to use their own laptops but the slow loading of pages, etc, brings them right back to my desk!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow bandwidth speeds
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow bandwidth speeds
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What a lot of people don't understand. .
by Coryphaeus / July 14, 2005 11:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Slow bandwidth speeds

is that PC processor speed and RAM will affect speed. Yes, the connection will support a gazillion B/s. But if the PC cannot process the data at that speed, what you get is what you get.

What are the specs on the PCs? I have also found that mixing vendors on network equipment will have a detrimental effect on performance.

Wayne

Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to
use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones,
internet connections, spyware removal, and data, and download free software.

Collapse -
PC is the weak link
by pnajariank / July 15, 2005 12:08 AM PDT

PC is a 1.8GHz, 512 RAM, 40GB drive(only 16GBused)- well maintained (updated OS, virus protected, spyware clean,etc). The laptops are all newer and better. The most recent, which is the most crucial (my husband needs performance for stock trades) is a Sony VAIO, 80GB drive, 1GB RAM, 1.7GHz with Centrino technology, etc. It does have built-in wireless connection but the others have Netgear adapters(one USB, one PC card).
The laptops drop to 1500kbps, which leads me to believe it is the wireless router (or firewall?)Sometimes simple IM cannot be accomplished without them being knocked off.

Collapse -
Need more details...
by Dick White / July 15, 2005 12:24 AM PDT
In reply to: PC is the weak link

details about the wireless. Details like whether ANY of the equipment is 802.11b grade (11Mb/sec) stuff. Even if the router is a 802.11g type (54Mb/sec), it will downgrade to entirely b speeds when accessed by a b client device. To complicate things further, the bandwidth is shared, which means the more clients are on, the slower everybody goes.

So, without knowing the details yet, you could go around and make your own inventory. Any b type gear should be replaced. Then I suspect your speed-critical trading might work better.

As an afterthought, be aware that "Centrino" is nothing more than a brand name. It is an Intel bundle. That's all. As with any branded advertising, you have to look behind the label to see what's really inside. It could very well be the weak link with a b-type chip despite the bold Centrino marketing hype.

dw

Collapse -
Speed
by bclinger / July 17, 2005 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Slow bandwidth speeds

I use the Belkin pre-N wireless and have experienced zero problems with it. Under normal situations, speed and range are superb. A normal situation means that the three desktops connected to it and the desktop the router is plugged into it are doing normal things, such as surfing the net, sharing data files, et cetera.

However, moving a very large file (not music files, but big files) though will slow it down. For instance, I decided months ago to upgrade from WordPerfect 9 to 12, so I downloaded the demo version to my laptop which has a preN card installed. My download went very well; however, another computer was moving a program installation file from the desktop and its transfer rate was about half of mine. Both laptops running preN cards. Another machine was surfing and the kid on it complained about the suddenly lousy speed.

So, there are several factors that interact here.

Number of users, file transfers and general speed of the system. The slow transfer lasted only a couple of minutes, but it was an annoyance. Had I been using one of the routers sitting in the closet, the family would have done me in.

Ben

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!