Internet Service Providers forum

Question

Slow ATT DSL Connection

by nedsheats / December 10, 2011 8:14 AM PST
Angry Are there other ATT customers out there, specially in the Lower RioGrande Area of Texas that have signed up for ATT DSL and even though they signed up for 3-6Mbs are limited to 0.5 Mbs between 6pm and 1am. My purpose was to stream netfix but no can do at that download speed. I have talked to everyone from the local techs to the office of the president. They know they have a problem but will not say what it is nor will they provide a date for a fix. Is it time for a class action suit?
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slow ATT DSL Connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slow ATT DSL Connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Be aware that
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2011 8:32 AM PST

For most companies when you announce "class action" this means you are not interested in support. All support folk should refer you to the legal department from now on.

Was that your intention?
Bob

Collapse -
slow ATT
by nedsheats / December 10, 2011 2:18 PM PST
In reply to: Be aware that

As I stated I am interested in finding out why the major player in the communications field can not fix a speed problem that has been going on for 9 months and is, in fact, getting worse. I have tried the patience and understanding route and have received only a confirmation that they know about the problem but that there is no solution or eta. Now I hope to gather information from other affected parties. My question was, as stated, to find out if this is an isolated issue or if there are enough affected individuals that a class action would be possible. I believe nine months is enough patience for anyone. As an aside I worked in Customer Service for a major Consumer Electronics manufacturer for 29 years. My department's target was to solve any customer issue within 48 hrs. Had I let ANY go 9 months or provided cause for a class acton, I would not have been there for 29 years. I certainly see both sides of the issue and I think you will agree it is beyond the reasonable. Possibly I should not have played my hand so early but the intention is still a fix not (perish the thought) lawyers.

Collapse -
I toke the easy way out.
by ahtoi / December 10, 2011 6:08 PM PST
In reply to: slow ATT

I switched to cable.

Collapse -
Me too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2011 1:36 AM PST

The last 2 moves had me change to ATT Uverse and then I tried to get it at our home but the tech showed up and claimed some board was bad down the road. They wanted me to call it in. Which I did. Cancelled the ATT order and got cable.

Even the cable co messed up the order and I have no cable TV.

It appears that service is getting pretty bad out there.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Contact the Texas PUC.
by Coryphaeus / December 10, 2011 8:52 PM PST
Collapse -
Answer
contract
by bill012 / December 10, 2011 10:04 PM PST

You need to read your contract. I suspect very strongly the word netflix does not appear.

I am sure you will find the magic words "best effort" which all comes down to we guarantee nothing.

They actually can if they choose guarantee the rates on the DSL connection between your house and the first phone office. If you pay them I am sure they can show you that you can get 3-6m anytime of the day. This is the key advantage to DSL over cable in that you do not share what is called the "last mile". Now once you get to the phone office where everyones DSL comes together and where the issue most likely is. They share the connection between this office and their core internet at best effort... unless of course you PAID for better service and then you get to go ahead of the best effort people.....

Besides you will never be able to prove it is not netflix that is causing the issue. I am sure netflix also has no download rate guarantee and I am sure they are maxing out all their stuff during those times also.

Collapse -
I just saw the 3-6m thing, which...
by ahtoi / December 11, 2011 1:31 AM PST
In reply to: contract

means it's not the lowest level of service. With only .5m, I would definitely complain loudly. I wonder how much is the dsl fee monthly. I got out of dsl is when at certain of night the service was so slow or off that I can't get on line. That's when I said...enough.

Collapse -
ATT ISSUE
by nedsheats / December 11, 2011 1:59 AM PST
In reply to: contract

It certainly isnt Netflix causing the problem since a peed test without Netfix operating shows the same 0.5 to 0.8 Mbs.I do agree that it isnt the "last mile" thing since from about 6AM to about 2PM it runs at 3.2 Mb or better. I am guessing they dont have sufficient capacity to the internet at their "core office" in Harlingen Tx. At this point my aim is to get enough subscribers to sign a petition to their President Mr. Stevenson.

Collapse -
Answer
ATT slow
by nedsheats / December 11, 2011 2:00 AM PST

Please, what is your location?

Collapse -
(NT) Boston, Los Angeles, San Diego areas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2011 2:01 AM PST
In reply to: ATT slow
Collapse -
Answer
Me too, but ALL THE TIME
by xCrux / December 11, 2011 7:41 AM PST

I'm only 15, but I live in Ohio. I've done a little research to find out that ATT may "offer" high speeds of downloading and whatnot, but it's the excessive number of people using their service that makes it slow. I'm given 3Mbps, according to ATT's list of internet packages, but I've never gotten over 300Kbps on a download. Ever. I'm not really quite sure what to do about it, whether there may be a fix or not. I thought at one point that it was my router possibly capping my download speed, but when I took a speed-test here on CNet, I got 2.44 Mbps. What's wrong when I download other files? I'm just hoping to switch to WOW or something, because I was told that - "Although they have many users, their bandwidth is good and so are their servers, allotting for much more speed, bandwidth, and similarities." Therefor, I just want to drop this terrible service for something else that's worth the 45$ a month my parents are paying, rather than getting garbage for such a high price. I'm not really sure how this could answer your question, but I want this to get out for all to here.

Collapse -
Answer
me too
by ATT_SLOW / December 16, 2011 1:07 PM PST

They kept saying it was the modem so I went to Radio Shack and bought the modem they would have shipped me ,.,,, I was getting 1.8 MBS ( signed up for the "up to" 6.0 ) ,, called them to complain .. so they sent me the "super duper" one that is so much netter and sure enough the first night it was running 5.7 ,,,, then next morning 3.8 and now thirs day 1.5 wooo hooo rocking now!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.