OK, this one has me stumped.
I have 5 computers on a home network, connected via a Linksys router/switch and a 100 hub. 4 are Windows 98se, and 1 is XP pro. The 98se machines work perfectly and can surf the net and see and browse each other. They can also see and browse the XP machine, but do not have the privs to look at some of the folders. The XP machine exhibits the following behaviour:
- worked perfectly fine before "upgrading" from 98se to XP
- can surf the net no problem
- can host/play all network games no problem
- can "see" all the machines on the network.
- can ping them all using either the network name or ip address.
- when trying to connect to a 98se computer (any), XP will hang (I mean REALLY hang) for a couple of minutes and then show the contents of the drive on the other machine. At that point, I can view/copy files from the other machine no problem.
- if I shut down the explorer during the hanging, the taskbar goes away for good and I have to do a hard reset.
- reinstall windows
- reinstall all patches to XP
- reinstalled newest audit/video drivers
- different NIC
- different connection on the network (ie: router/hub)
- different cables
- removed all network protocols and reinstalled
- run virus checker
- run ad-aware
- gone from simple file sharing to giving full permissions on all drives/folders and back again.
thnx for any comments!
386mb PC133 ram
60 gb drive
ATI Radeon 32mb
Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys
Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.