HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Slipstreaming

by eddie11013 / May 13, 2006 4:05 AM PDT

I want to create a cd with my xp pro os CD and sp2 CD "AND" also include all the windows updates since sp2. I found this site on how to slipstream my sp2 cd, http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp, but I want to also include critical updates. Can this be done. I have a list of updates, based on the Belarc Advisor, and I downloaded same from this site, http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/index.html and the windows update site. I have Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum and I saw a program called nlite that might also help. Dell Dimension 2350, 2.0 Ghz, 1GB, cable modem.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
Eddie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slipstreaming
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slipstreaming
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look up AUTOSTREAMER and ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2006 1:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Slipstreaming

Discussions about such on google.com

You may find your solution.

Bob

Collapse -
Here is a great site!!!
by dvesh / May 13, 2006 1:28 PM PDT
Collapse -
Unattended XP
by dvesh / May 13, 2006 1:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Slipstreaming

also if you wanna include all the Updates from Microsoft in that same CD you are probably thinking about an Unattended XP CD... check this cool site to learn how to do it step by step: http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/

Hope this help

Collapse -
Update
by eddie11013 / May 17, 2006 2:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Unattended XP

I did two procedures. One was slipstream OS & SP2 and the other was OS, SP2 & all windows updates & some "Drivers". The second procedure actually worked. However, I did not like the "feel" of this install. When you run Belarc Advisor, it only "lists" some windows updates, but it says its current. When I ran the MBSA, Microsoft Baseline Security, it said updates were current. However, "I" did not feel secure without actually being able to "see" a complete list. So, I reformatted again, and this time installed with the slipstreamed OS & SP2. This procedure also worked great. I installed all windows updates and computer is working fine.
If I had to help someone reformate their computer and they were on a dial up, I would use my computer, since I am on a cable modem, to get all windows updates and use the procedure that included them, using the nLite procedure.
Thanks for everyone's response.
Eddie

Collapse -
There is a problem
by Themisive / May 17, 2006 4:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Update

Unfortunately, as Bob has noted, slipstreaming is not always the answer. I have looked at slipstreaming a disk, but I have never been able to understand how a disk, which is supposed to be copy protected - the XP disk - can be copied by this programme. Another complication is that you want to make it neccessarily complex.

Contact your local MS, they'll send you an SP2 disk for free (I don't know about SP1, but maybe it's still possible), at the same time download Belarc from www.belarc.com/, that'll show you what you have on your machine in the way of hotfixes.

Use these to download the various ones to a seperate folder and burn these to disk. Next time you load your O/S you have your SP2 disk and all your downloads to jand, and don't need to compromise your computer by going on the 'net too soon.

Collapse -
Thanks Themisive
by eddie11013 / May 17, 2006 5:25 AM PDT
In reply to: There is a problem

I do have an SP2 disc, which includes SP1 by the way, and I was able to slipstream the SP2 disc with my OS disc. It worked great. I used the guide that I mentioned on my first post. So, in the future, if I have to reformate again, I will save at least that time of installing SP2. I also have all the updates, however, since they are supposed to be installed in sequence, I don't know if I will do that or just download and install again. With a cable modem, it doesn't take very long, and I usually do other things while this process is happening. Since I have my firewall and antivirus and Spyware Blaster active before I even connect my cable modem, I feel I am safe for when I do go online.
Eddie

Collapse -
Another way too
by dvesh / May 17, 2006 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Update

If you shearch online there are many tricks easy and fast to show you all the updates in the Control Panel/ Add or remove programs list. This can be also included in the Unattended CD creation. but if you don't feel like doing all that you can keep installing everything manual as you are now. For me it is a waiste of time

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.