TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

slingbox alternatives

by mm1150 / September 3, 2011 12:31 PM PDT

I have a Slingbox I use to try to watch football when traveling abroad. However, it never seems to work when football games are on. It works fine most of the time -- it will work OK for hours on weekday afternoons -- but then will fail on Monday night. It tells me there's something wrong with my home Internet connection, but the connection is working fine. It seems the problem is really with Slingbox's servers.

What about alternatives to the Slingbox, such as the Vulkano or LocationFree? I don't need any bells and whistles, just something that works all the time.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: slingbox alternatives
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: slingbox alternatives
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You have limited choices unfortunately
by Pepe7 / September 3, 2011 1:53 PM PDT
In reply to: slingbox alternatives

Understand, today's products are sold primarily based on which bells/whistles they incorporate to achive some sort of extra value to today's consumers. Also, these products rarely if ever work all the time, in the strictest sense.

FWIW, I've heard horror stories about HAVA and now Vulkano products. Some of the reviews @ Amazon & over at AVS forum seems to support my view a little. Anyway, support is supposed to be like pulliing teeth, and the devices are generally somewhat half-baked (=buggy). I did see one however at a technology demo and it looked like it could potentially do more than slingbox could/can.

Regarding Locationfree (by Sony), I've also heard that it's nowhere near the control you have of TV channels as with a Slingbox, and the product is now somewhat dated. Locationfree I understand is generally used more for controlling TV with another Sony device such as the PSP, and in your home instead of elsewhere. YMMV.

Maybe pop over to AVS forum to see what other more granular level comments you can find on these products.

Collapse -
Answer
Slingbox
by 3coursedinner / September 3, 2011 10:43 PM PDT
In reply to: slingbox alternatives

Did you ask Slingbox via their website?

Collapse -
Yes, but no answer yet...
by mm1150 / September 4, 2011 1:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Slingbox

...You can find plenty of similar issues on their forums. Generally, their response to such queries has been obfuscation or falsely blaming the user's Internet connection.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.