Question

Sling box

I have a disabled friend in a nursing home that has very limited TV stn choices, with no hope of more. Is Sling Box the solution for him?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Sling box
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Sling box
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
What exactly are you trying to do?

Do you looking for a device that will give more TV stations? Is so, I don't think Slingbox will do that (someone here correct me if I'm wrong). I belived Sling Box is designed to send TV broadcasts from your home TV to a multitude of mobile devices to see what your home TV is tuned to, like if you wanted to watch your home baseball team while you are away from home, the Sling Box would send the signal to an iPhone, iPad, etc. I don't think the Sling Box will receive any more TV stations by magic.

- Collapse -
Depends on the OP's actual situation

Sometimes folks in nursing homes maintain separate homes or have families w/ cable subs. If the person in question had one of those nailed along with a laptop, they would be good to go with a SB.

- Collapse -
SB

He has a laptop and a brother who could have the SB. But can my friend only watch whatever is showing on the bro's TV at the tim, or can he see what he wants? Thanks.

- Collapse -
Slingbox.com

Their website describes exactly what the Sling Box will do. It appears that it will allow you to change channels and even watch your DVR. It's pretty cool.

- Collapse -
What he can watch

The Slingbox is merely a place-shifting device. When you watch online, you see whatever the TV is is connected to is playing. You cannot watch a different program that what the TV is receiving.

CNET Forums