Cameras forum

General discussion

Slim camera with strong video recording performance?

by danforz / January 14, 2009 7:48 AM PST

Hey all! I'm new to the forums so let me start out by saying hi!

Anyways, I'm sick of my fat old Casio Exlim and its awful video recording performance. I'm looking for a slim camera with a fast shutter (I think that means it "snaps" photos quickly) and high resolution video capability.

As far as mega pixels go, I assume I don't need anything more than 7 or 8 for recreational photography (parties, occasions, etc) right?

Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Slim camera with strong video recording performance?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Slim camera with strong video recording performance?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Slim Camera
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 14, 2009 11:49 AM PST

"Strong video recording performance" bothers me.
Any camcorder will produce better video than the video from a digital still camera.

Just make sure that the digital still camera can produce 640x480 video at 30 (fps) frames per second. The video is OK and is acceptable for most people.

"Parties" bother me too.
That implies taking pictures in low light conditions.
If you are taking flash pictures, most small cameras can only cover a distance of about 12 feet.
If you are wanting to take low light party pictures without flash ... you are out of luck with any small camera.

All new cameras have over 7 megapixels.

So, tell us more about the conditions where you want to photograph and do you have a preference about optical zoom.

Collapse -
What I'm looking for
by danforz / January 15, 2009 4:39 AM PST
In reply to: Slim Camera

Thank you for your response. Here are the details you've requested:

Strong video performance:
Again, I am just a casual recorder/photo taker. Nothing like creating a movie. But something that would be visually to watch as a home movie. If 640x480 at 30fps is "ok", are there any out there that are "good"?

Photos at parties:
Indeed, many of these parties will be low light situations. However, I'm not taking a photo of the party itself, but rather people I'm with so 12 feet of visibility should be more than enough. I suppose in that case what is really important here is how quick it snaps and auto focuses/settings. I have a Casio Exlim (spl?) and the dang thing takes forever to snap a photo. Furthermore, it has a million and one settings. I'd rather a camera which just does the whole thing automatically: No need to chose portrait, portrait with background, night time, low light night time setting, etc. I'd prefer this to be automatically done.

As far as megapixels and zoom, I suppose 7 MP is more than enough (It'll work for casual photo taking won't it?) and zoom wise I'm sure the normal range would be fine for me.

Here is a list of what it is I'm looking for:

1) Quick photo taking functionality (Quick shutter)
2) Auto-adjusting for different environments
3) Ability to produce "Good" quality video (>640x480 @ 30FPS)
4) Ultra-Compact

5) View finder non-essential
6) Average zoom functionality should be fine
7) 7MP should be fine

Thanks again! I look forward to your response!

Collapse -
Looking
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 15, 2009 10:59 PM PST
In reply to: What I'm looking for

I would start looking at the Canon SD880IS.
Here is a review:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_reviews/canon_sd880.html

It has a very short shutter lag time.
A fast shot-to-shot time.

Flash TIP #1:
When shooting with flash (all digital cameras).
If the camera has been idle for over an hour, your first flash shot will have a long delay.
Up to 6 or 7 seconds.
Because you have to charge up the flash capacitor.
Once it is charged, you are ready to take shots quickly.
So....if you get to a party, take a flash picture immediately and then you are ready to go start taking flash pictures.

Flash TIP #2:
Before going to an event that will require flash, always charge up the battery before you go.
A fresh battery will recharge your flash quicker.

Collapse -
Thanks again!
by danforz / January 16, 2009 5:34 AM PST
In reply to: Looking

Thank you once more for your response. I've copy pasted your tips onto my HD and have started looking into the camera you suggested. In the meanwhile, I've come across this:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665495080

I like the internal memory slide show feature that it offers. Though I didn't realize before I made the original post, something like that is a HUGE plus to me. Given its specs, what do you think of this camera and how would you expect it to perform in the night time/club/party environments I'm in?

Thanks as always
Daniel

Collapse -
Sony T700
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 16, 2009 6:25 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks again!

As far as shooting speed, the Sony T700 is just about the same as the Canon SD880IS.

Here is a full review of the T700:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2008_reviews/sony_t700.html

Here is a comparison of specifications:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_sd880is%2Csony_dsct700&show=all

Regarding night time/club/party:
The flash ability is almost identical.
Shooting in low light (without flash) will result in blurred photos unless you use a tripod.
That applies to both cameras.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!